Left Behind

Any left behind fans out there?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
map
Found

Post by map »

I'm looking forward to watching it.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm planning on buying it on DVD when it comes out on Tuesday. :D
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

did it try a get closer to how it happened on the books or is it still real far off?
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

From what I've seen it's still laughably far off. A virus being spread by Christians who pass out infected Bibles????? :roll:
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

I wouldn't be surprised if the movie had nothing to do with the books.

It's like The Secret of NIMH movie
The movie based off a book but they killed a major character, and didn't kill another major character (well they did but in a completely different way).

Because of that the movie sequel (Timmy's Rescue I think it was) was NOTHING like the 2nd book.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

STRYPER wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the movie had nothing to do with the books.

It's like The Secret of NIMH movie
The movie based off a book but they killed a major character, and didn't kill another major character (well they did but in a completely different way).

Because of that the movie sequel (Timmy's Rescue I think it was) was NOTHING like the 2nd book.
None of the movies have followed the books, at least IMHO.
Jeremy Cartwood
Animatronic

Post by Jeremy Cartwood »

I thought the first Left Behind movie was quite good, yes it could have been more realistic and some of the special effects scenes looked like the unfinished versions of Hollywood special effects, but I liked it. Trib Force was good too, somewhat more gripping. I'd like to get the third one, it's on my Christmas list.

SUPER JEREMYCARTWOOD!!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I really like the first one, the second one was ok. The third one looks good.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Laurie wrote:None of the movies have followed the books, at least IMHO.
Well the first one was pretty close, not the best but I thought they did a good job of cramming that huge book into a 2 hour movie.

The second one was all over the place though :(
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

I think, for some reason, the Left Behind movies are forever doomed to stray from the books. But I think that's ok. It gives the movie writers more freedom to see what works better on film. Although I loved the books and thought the first two movie didn't live up to them, I don't really care if this movie has little to do with the book. Books are books and movies are movies. They're two different mediums of telling a story. With that beign said the first movie was ok, the second was better, and I've heard the the third is also better. I'll probably buy this one.
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

I bought the third Left Behind movie today. Hopefully it'll be a good film!
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Trinarius wrote:I bought the third Left Behind movie today. Hopefully it'll be a good film!
Same here. I got it for $17.48 at Sam's Club.
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

Laurie wrote:
Trinarius wrote:I bought the third Left Behind movie today. Hopefully it'll be a good film!
I got mine for $19.99 at Target. :boohoo: The reason I went there is because their website had a price of $17.47, but I didn't feel like driving somewhere else once I found out it was more expensive. False advertising let me tell you! :shame:
-Josh

Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Trinarius wrote:
Laurie wrote:
I got mine for $19.99 at Target. :boohoo: The reason I went there is because their website had a price of $17.47, but I didn't feel like driving somewhere else once I found out it was more expensive. False advertising let me tell ya! :shame:
Full price the DVD is $24.99 so $19.99 is not bad.
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

Laurie wrote:
Trinarius wrote:I got mine for $19.99 at Target. :boohoo: The reason I went there is because their website had a price of $17.47, but I didn't feel like driving somewhere else once I found out it was more expensive. False advertising let me tell you! :shame:
Full price the DVD is $24.99 so $19.99 is not bad.
That is true. So at least I'm still saving some money! :D
-Josh

Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

I saw the movie tonight, so I'll give a few of my thoughts. Let me start with the positive. First off, the acting was significantly better than the first two movies. In Left Behind and Tribulation Force, much of the acting seemed immature, and just plain cheesy. Thankfully, that is not the case with World at War. Secondly, the effects were pretty decent. While there weren't a lot of them, what I saw wasn't that bad. It would've been nice if there was more action, but that's just me. I know that this time around, Sony Entertainment decided to collaborate with Cloud Ten Pictures, and, let me tell you, it made a huge difference as far as the production quality is concerned. The different camera angles, the lighting, all of it was top notch. I was very impressed. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, this movie gave a big dose of the gospel message, and much of it consisted of prayer and scripture reading. So I was glad to see that these basics were still the main focus of the movie.

Now for the bad. Granted, I've only read the first and some of the second book in the LB series (some of LB kids too), so I think that was most likely a drawback for me as a viewer. Many times I got lost trying to figure out what some of the characters were talking about, and I had to just guess on some of the things that were going on. A MAJOR drawback to this film was the music. What I liked about the first movie was its score. It set the mood and was all around engaging. TF's movie score was pathetic and a huge letdown. While the music in WAW was most definitely better than TF, it did not measure up to the first film. In the movie's most pivotal moments, I so wanted to be drawn into the movie, but there was just a barrier there due to the lack of a decent soundtrack. I don't mean to get off track (no pun intended!) here, but it seems like a majority of Christian films neglect this very important part of movie making! So yeah, that was a big disappointment for me. Also, while Nicolae Carpathia (Gordon Currie) had a few good scenes, I really didn't see his creepiness and dominance come through this time. I wanted to be genuinely frightened by that man!

Now, it would appear that the bad outweighs the good. But please don't get me wrong, I didn't think it was a bad film. In many respects, it is much better than the first two. Just don't set the bar too high, and you won't be disappointed.
-Josh

Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

I agree. It wasn't the best movie ever, but it was much better than the last two. It's worth watching.
H34TH4R
Someone's favorite

Post by H34TH4R »

i never liked left behind i only heard about isnt it a book and movie. i saw part of the movie once i gave that a thumbs up \:D/ but i never read the books are they as good as the movie?
Jeremy Cartwood
Animatronic

Post by Jeremy Cartwood »

I'd say the books are better than the movie, way more exciting.

Not that the movies aren't exciting! But the books, going back to what the others said, "draw you in" more. I was supposed to get WAW today and watch it tonight, but my mom and brothers have just informed me that they couldn't find it at WalMart! Darn. I will get it though, and I'll tell you how it goes.

SUPER JEREMYCARTWOOD!!
map
Found

Post by map »

Just bought the 3rd movie today. Can't wait to watch it.

I like the books a lot better than the movies. The books can go into much more detail about everybody.