A Haunting In Venice

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

A Haunting In Venice

Post by bookworm »

I had no idea there was going to be another Poirot movie, and never would have guessed this was it from the start of the trailer since it's so different from the other two films, but here it is.

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I still haven't read the books and I don't think I watched the earlier movies. I'm pretty sure I did the same thing as now - watched the trailers, thought they looked mildly interesting, and left it at that. ;) This looks a pretty creepy, which isn't really my thing.

Just before I posted I remembered that I watched "Murder on the Orient Express," which is maybe one of the Poirot movies you mentioned, bookworm? :anxious:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yes that was the first one, you said you had seen it. You also expressed interest in the second but I guess didn't end up seeing it.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks bookworm. If asked if I had seen "Murder on the Orient Express" I would have said yes. I forgot for a bit that it's a Poirot movie. I just saw it once years ago. I might eventually get around to "Death on the Nile" (which I also remembered was an Agatha Christie movie but forgot it was Poirot) but it looked meh enough that I just never got around to it.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I also haven't yet watched Death on the Nile. I planned to, but it didn't come to my theater or was here so briefly I missed it. I do want to see it eventually.

This one, I don't know. If it's actually presented as a horror movie I'm out. But if that was just really played up for the trailer to get buzz because it was so unexpected (which has worked very well from the reactions I've seen) maybe. I don't know the mystery this says it's based on (Hallowe'en Party) but from a quick skim trying to avoid spoilers this seems nothing like it. I see many other people, who are familiar with it, saying the same. Some suggest it looks like it's actually based on The Last Seance, which is a horror story she wrote not a mystery.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It wouldn't be the most shocking thing ever for classic source material to be significantly altered in an attempt to make more money. I'm not familiar enough to have an opinion. Like you, bookworm, I'm a lot more interested in a good mystery than any kind of horror movie.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

New trailer is more standard; it's seeming like that first one was done that way to get people's attention. Looks like this will definitely have scary elements, but isn't going to be a straight up horror movie.