Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023

Post by bookworm »

ImageImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Playoff hockey discussion thread! \:D/

There is also the usual #NHL channel in the Chatroom if anyone wants to live chat.

Image Schedule of games, times, and channels
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Woohoo! I love the first round, with hockey all evening every day. I was looking at the schedule earlier today and I see I'll be up late some days. I won't stay up late for every game, since I do have to be up for work in the morning, but some games will be worth it.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Kraken are in the playoffs in their second year; wonder if they'll make a run like the Golden Knights did when they were new.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It would be a long shot. The numbers I've seen put them at or near the bottom in odds, but then, there's a reason they still play the games. Things don't always shake out exactly in line with odds.

This is a pretty cool visual of probabilities, if anyone is interested. I don't usually pay a ton of attention to stuff like this, but it is a neat way to show this info.
https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/stat ... 2378954753
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That's neat thanks :)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I don't usually look at Dom's stuff but my favourite hockey writer, best know as Down Goes Brown, retweeted that graphic and I thought it was cool. If you're ever looking for more ways to spend money ;) and like in-depth sports reporting, it's worth the subscription to The Athletic. Lots of good stuff.

The Bruins/Panthers game just ended. Towards the end there was a goalie interference call that (thankfully) took back one goal from the Bruins, though they still won. Apparently it was news to someone that using your stick to knock the puck out of the goalie's glove and into the net isn't a legit scoring method. Who knew, right? :roll: I yelled at my TV for the first couple of replays and then had to stop looking as we waited way too long for the review to be completed. Gotta have some drama to start the playoffs!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I haven't watched any yet, but I saw one of the games took double overtime!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yep, and the Oilers lost in OT last night too. They were up 2-0 when I went to bed, so I laughed when I checked scores in the morning and saw they lost in OT. Not a big Oilers fan, in case it wasn't obvious. I don't hate them, but their success is not important to me.

Leafs are losing tonight at home - the choking narrative/panic set in about halfway through the first period, I think. They totally could go on to win the series, but this will give sportswriters plenty of material!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Morgan Barron takes a skate to the face, gets 75 stitches, then returns to the game? :shock:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It was pretty scary to see - there was a pile-up in front of the net, the Vegas goalie (Laurent Brossoit, a former Jets back-up) was on his stomach so his skate blade was up but he didn't have a visual of his own skates, and another Vegas player was pushing Morgan Barron down - but with no idea the skate blade was there. He stopped pushing and checked on Barron as soon as he realized. I'm so glad it wasn't worse. He had to wear a cage on his helmet for protection but apparently he was used to that from college hockey. Hockey players are tough!

And, most importantly, the Jets won! \:D/

Lots of upsets last night. Should make things interesting tomorrow night.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Kings beat Oilers in OT again, on a possible high stick that was reviewed but not called.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The possible high stick wasn't directly related to the goal, but happened 15 seconds earlier. There is still plenty of controversy as to whether the puck hit the stick or not, but it's not like the old pre-review days where you'd get a goal batted into the net or whatever. Instead it just causes hassle for something potentially inconsequential. I totally understand fans being all worked up about it, but that seems like a flaw with the system more than anything terrible occurring.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Kings and Oilers go to overtime again! Edmonton finally wins one.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

There's been a lot of OT in the playoffs already! It makes me glad I don't care about that series enough to stay up for OT on an already late game. There is something so fun and exciting about OT, knowing any bad bounce or little thing could end the game - but that it still might go on for hours!

Does anyone else play the OT game when you're watching? You pick the player you think will score the big OT winner. Some people play the cheater version where they pick a player from both teams involved, but my brother and I just pick one player, since that way you're picking the team and the player. Of course, if I'm watching a favourite team I always pick a player from that team, but it makes OT more fun even if there are teams playing that I don't have a super strong opinion about.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Vegas is the first to advance; all other series are 3-2
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yep, someone has to be first. Four more teams could know their fate tonight - we'll see what happens. I'm cheering the Panthers on to victory over the evil Bruins. In my last post I mentioned the OT game, where you pick who you think will score, and in the last Panthers/Bruins game, I picked Matthew Tkachuk as the game went into OT...and I was right! \:D/ I was extra excited about the win there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Kraken knock out the defending champions!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

And better yet (for me and all others who hate the Bruins) Florida knocked out the top regular season team! I was cheering them on to victory!

The Kraken game was fun too. I love to watch a series end, with the handshakes etc, plus the chance that the Kraken could knock out the Avs (whom I hold no ill will against) made me stay up late last night to catch the end of the game. The underdog story is always a fun one. We'll see what round two brings us!

No score yet in game 7 of the last series to be decided - New Jersey vs. Rangers.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Quadruple overtime! :shock:

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

What a crazy long game! :thud: I stayed up for the first OT and then went to bed, where I then got really involved in my book and read for a while, then suddenly thought I should check to see who won before I actually went to sleep - and was quite surprised to see that the game still wasn't over! I wasn't willing to stay up that late for game 1 on a work night. It's crazy to think of playing for more than two full games back-to-back. You could see everyone was just wiped out. Matthew Tkachuk scored with seconds left in the fourth OT - thanks goodness he scored when he did!

Round 3 is fun - the games mean so much, and there's still hockey every night. \:D/ I was cheering for both Carolina and Florida previously so I'm okay with either team winning in the east, and I definitely prefer Dallas over Vegas in the west.