Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration

Post by bookworm »

Tomorrow on ABC there will be a special presentation celebrating the 30th anniversary of Beauty and the Beast.

It's not a full performance of the stage version, but like The Little Mermaid Live which was done for that movie's 30th, it's a blend of live performances with scenes from the movie. "The special presentation includes never-before-seen musical performances ... created to pay homage while also adding to the iconic story."
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I love Beauty and the Beast! I saw an ad for this a while ago and just set my PVR to record this tomorrow night. I think it's going to be on Disney+ soon afterwards as well.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It was pretty good!

Like after the Little Mermaid production my takeaway was I would have liked to see them put on the full show instead of this back and forth thing with the animation, but I know that's not the purpose of these they're doing it to celebrate the movie.

It was an interesting design choice for Beast to be a robot.

The contortionist interludes were really mesmerizing to watch.

Nice tribute to Angela Lansbury, I was sure they would put one somewhere.

Josh Groban has quite a voice, huh? Whenever I hear him I always think 'wow I should listen to him more' and then don't so I forget how good he is until I happen to hear him again somewhere and think the same thing again.

I've seen the stage version of Beauty and the Beast, but it was some time ago so I remember it has some additional content than the movie, but not specifically what it was so I couldn't tell offhand if any of that was included in this or not or how this performance differed from either of those as far as the new music that was alluded to.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I watched today. It was pretty fun.

I disagree on the contortionists - I thought it was weird and didn't like it. I acknowledge that it takes lot of skill etc. but I did not like watching it.

Josh Groban is awesome! I'm a long-time fan and loved him as the Beast. He's amazing and hilarious live in concert, if you ever get a chance to go.

I saw the stage version years ago and loved it so I bought the Broadway soundtrack, making me quite familiar with the extra content. I think they included a bit of extra Gaston/LeFou singing after the big Gaston song, but nothing beyond that. I actually read bookworm's post prior to watching and it made me hope there was going to be more stage songs, so it ended up being disappointing to me. The Gaston proposal song is totally hilarious, and some of the other numbers are great too. They kind of replace one of them with the new Beast song they added to the live action movie, which Josh Groban does an amazing job with...I just really like the other song a lot. Oh well. That's what my soundtrack is for, I guess. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:46 pmI disagree on the contortionists - I thought it was weird and didn't like it.
I didn't say I liked it, things can be mesmerizing in a bad way. ;)
I also thought on the whole it was weird. The overhead shots though I kind of got into.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:30 pm
Catspaw wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:46 pmI disagree on the contortionists - I thought it was weird and didn't like it.
I didn't say I liked it, things can be mesmerizing in a bad way. ;)
I also thought on the whole it was weird. The overhead shots though I kind of got into.
My bad. I thought you meant it as a compliment. I'm fine if other people liked it - I just didn't. They seemed to be using it to represent magic or something sometimes maybe?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It was definitely meant to represent something, but I couldn't identify what. I thought they were portraying the rose itself at first, but then it showed they actually had a physical one. :shrugs: