Puss in Boots

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Puss in Boots

Post by bookworm »

I know it's really late to suddenly discuss this movie, but I never saw it until just now.

I remember when this came out I didn't pay it any attention because knowing this character was from one of the Shrek sequels I had thought it was just a continuation of that series, which I hadn't cared to follow past the original movie. I didn't realize until rather recently that this was actually its own completely separate thing. When I did learn that I looked into it a little and thought it seemed like it might be fun, so I decided I would give it a try if the opportunity to watch it came along sometime.

A few days ago I noticed that it's currently free to stream on YouTube Movies, I assume because of the sequel coming out, so I watched it last night.

I actually loved this! I can't believe I've slept on this movie all these years!

The humor, gags that are dumb silly but in a good way, is completely my style. Plus recurring jokes related to the character being a cat, and various fairy tale jokes and references; I really liked it all and it got genuine laughs out of me more than a couple times. I also thought the story was pretty good, and really enjoyed the world aesthetic of Zorro style adventure in a 1600s era Spain setting with many Spaghetti Western vibes also thrown in. There was also some fun anachronistic technology, and it even briefly became a Godzilla style monster movie at the very end. Honestly, it's like this was specifically made for me. Everything about it made it into something I would just thoroughly enjoy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I saw this movie years ago and just have a vague recollection of liking it without any of the details really sticking. It's fun to hear that you liked it so much, bookworm! Maybe they really made it just for you and they're relieved you finally found it. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don't know if YouTube Movies works different in Canada, but here's the link where it was free if you (or anyone else) wanted to check it out again. :)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:16 pm I don't know if YouTube Movies works different in Canada, but here's the link where it was free if you (or anyone else) wanted to check it out again. :)
I got "Video unavailable" and something about it not being available in my country. I hate to complain about discrimination against Canadians (again) but it's a real thing. :noway: Rights stuff, I'm sure. It might be on one of the streaming services I have access to. Right now I'm just trying to keep up with all the Christmas movies on TV!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I never saw it but I think I own it digitally or something. I liked the first couple Shrek movies okay, but then just never watched past the second one, including the spinoffs.