Elf on the Shelf

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Bren
Be positive!

Elf on the Shelf

Post by Bren »

I have an interesting question that I'd love to hear everyone's feedback on. Should we as Christians participate in Elf on the Shelf? Depending on the situation I could see it either being good or bad. If you promote it as magic for kids, that could be like telling them Santa is real. However, some of the situations an elf can get into if they know it isn't magic can be kinda amusing. Like if your elf made your morning coffee.

Thoughts?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

As far as the general principle goes, I don't see that it is any different than "Santa Claus" or "Rudolph" or other similar entities. I don't think these things are necessarily wrong, if you make it clear to children that it is imaginary and that you are collectively 'make-believing' or having fun with the concept of this fictional character.

I admit being uncomfortable with the "elf on a shelf" in particular, though; it seems creepy. I don't know for sure why, whether it's the design of the character, or the concept of having a spy in your house, or something more subtle. If you think it's a fun holiday tradition and do it, that's up to you; it isn't something I'm interested in.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I think it's creepy and lame myself. If it's a fun, silly tradition where it is super clear to kids that people are moving the elf around for a game, then whatever. To me that isn't a moral issue in any way. If you're actively trying to convince your children that an inanimate object is coming to life to do weird stuff...not my personal preference. ;)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

IT'S DUMB AND I HATE IT!!!! :x