045: What Are We Gonna Do About Halloween?

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!
Bren
Be positive!

045: What Are We Gonna Do About Halloween?

Post by Bren »

Kids all over Odyssey want to go out for Halloween, but Whit comes up with a better idea.
For those who have heard this episode, what do you think about the way this episode handled Halloween? It aired 34 years ago, how do you think it measures up now?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

First, fun fact, this was the first AIO episode I ever heard. The second was The Twilife Zone. So, kinda a weird introduction.

I actually liked how this was handled. Halloween was a touchy subjects in some corners of American Christianity at the time (still is, I'm sure, just not in my current corner), so the team probably felt like they had to address it and do it in a way that wouldn't irritate the audience. My parents, especially Dad, were anti Halloween. It was a pizza/movie night for the family. In later years it turned into a church night. So I can relate to how Whit handled it. What was good about this episode was that it found a middle ground, and also managed to argue against the legalism that popped up in one of the characters of the episode. Whether that route is right or wrong, or whether trick or treating is right or wrong....eh. I'll leave it to the freedom of the Christian conscience, to paraphrase Luther. On that note, we could've done without the final scene with Connie--but that's my only complaint about the episode.