Goosebumps

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Goosebumps

Post by bookworm »

I didn't pay any attention to this movie back when it came out because I don't have a connection to Goosebumps, I only read like three of the books in gradeschool and never watched the tv show. I heard after the release that the movie was pretty decent though so I was vaguely interested in checking it out at some point, but not sure when I would ever go ahead and really do it since it still didn't have particularly strong appeal to me without having childhood sentiments for the franchise.

I decided to go ahead and finally watch it this week since it seemed somewhat Halloweeny. Considering it seasonally appropriate was the perfect motivation to make a point to see it at last, I'm really not sure when I otherwise would have felt like getting around to it.

It was quite entertaining and enjoyable, even as someone nonchalant about the source material; I'm glad I finally saw it! One who grew up on the books would probably find it resonate with them more, but I was pleased that it's not required to have a prior familiarity to find the viewing a fun time.

Since I liked the first movie, I also watched Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween.

This actually isn't really connected to the first movie, it's a standalone followup. It was disappointing to not get a traditional sequel, but this was fine for what it was. Not as good as the first movie, but a fun enough watch for Halloween season. Interestingly, this movie is actually more of a Goosebumps movie proper where the first was a movie about Goosebumps. That is, the first movie was a meta story about Goosebumps as a book series, but this one is like an actual Goosebumps story from one of the books.