The Haunted Mansion

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

The Haunted Mansion

Post by bookworm »

I had meant to make a thread for this movie when I rewatched it last October but forgot. Does anyone else like it?

It wasn't very well received at release, and seems to still not be held too fondly by some people, but others have come around on it. I enjoy it.
Though I've never been to any of the Disney parks I understand all the references to the ride scattered through the movie so that's fun, and as someone who doesn't do horror movies at all this is a welcome way to get the seasonal viewing experience I want in a way I can handle. The setting and subject matter deliver what I'm looking for, which is atmospheric Halloween vibes more than real scares. Though I will say the crypt scene comes frighteningly close (pun intended) to crossing my wimpily low horror tolerance, but that's why it's a great fit for this time of year. It's not a 'must be sure to watch or my Halloween season isn't complete' to me, but I do tend to throw it on at some point just about every year in late October.

It's notably dark for a Disney movie at times too; a guy hangs himself in the opening credits (it's a ride reference, but it's still startling to see), and the villain is sent to hell at the end. Not in an implied way, that's literally what happens. Definitely more intense than you might expect if you think it's just going to be a silly Eddie Murphy comedy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I've never seen it, mostly because that really isn't my genre and I also haven't been on the ride. It's interesting to hear that you've watched it around Halloween. It must be at least decent! Some movies are like that - not amazing, but fun and somewhat nostalgic or traditional.