The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hmm, if I was asked to predict what would be featured in a Mario movie trailer, I would not have even been close! It looks good visually - almost too good, since my memories are mostly of Super Nintendo days. ;) Unless it is just awful, I'm sure I'll see this eventually.

*waits for Top to share his thoughts on this beloved franchise*
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Whatever this is, it can't be worse than the first theatrical attempt. :)

Edit:

I was referring to the 1993 live action movie there, but further research indicates that this one was also released in theaters, so that would have actually been the first.

My statement probably stands either way. :P
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, I'm seeing a fair bit of complaints about "How dare Chris Pratt not sound like super high pitched and annoying!" but I prefer a normal human sounding Mario, if maybe a tad gruffer than Pratt is doing (like the old cartoons), but I think its totally fine and acceptable. Really nothing I dislike about the trailer. \:D/ Of course, it's very much a "teaser," hopefully we get a bit more of the plot and see more Luigi and introduce Peach in the next trailer that is likely months away.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yeah, I had seen random headlines about people complaining about Chris Pratt's Mario voice, but I never cared enough to follow up. ;) There is no way to make a movie about a long-time beloved character without lots of whining.

I demand the arrival of Princess Peach! :protest:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

This movie is going to be fine. In my opinion it’s going to be a really fun movie just like most of Illumination’s stuff. The internet is weird about it because Mario is so beloved, but the reason Mario is beloved is not because of the characters or story, it’s simply the fact that they are an untouchable standard in platforming video games. You can’t replicate that feeling of playing a Mario game in a movie… so there’s no point in nitpicking what is going to be a fun time mainly geared toward kids.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

New trailer looks super fun. Work internet is being weird today so I can't post it. But yeah I'm very happy with everything I've seen. >_>
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Peach's voice doesn't feel right to me, but I'm liking everything else. I'm not even a major Mario fan but I think this looks fun! :)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, looks cute! I like it. The way they used the theme music at the end of the trailer was nice. This just might end up being a decent movie, at least for Mario fans. I loved the flying fish - it brought me back to my Super Nintendo days, trying to get past flying fish on a bridge.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It was Mario (Mar10) day yesterday, so I guess it's time to get excited. ;)

I love the music in the trailer. I'm still not sure how good this movie will be, but it does look fun.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

It definitely seems that they aren’t going to completely mess things up and it will be passably decent… but I’m overly optimistic and have my expectations through the roof! \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That always pays off when it comes to movies being made from beloved source material, so raise those hopes even higher for extra awesomeness! :yes:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Despite getting mediocre critics reviews, actual audiences are loving this movie and it's setting all kinds of box office records! :o
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm always happy when fun movies that are actually appropriate for children do well. My brother and I might go see it in a couple of weeks, just for funsies.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I enjoyed it a lot. Certainly an aspect of that was having my five year old with me who is obsessed with Mario, but I’m sure I’d have enjoyed it without her! It was what I expected—simple plot and some decent action and jokes. Totally young child appropriate and friendly, IMO. But not like so super dumbed down that it’s painful for an adult to watch. It’s like the poster child-movie for “fun for all ages!” Kids are probably the official target audience but they obviously knew lots of people who grew up as Mario fans in the 80’s and 90’s were going to see it, and they put loads of very ancient references and Easter eggs in for them.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

$1 Billion!

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, I love the gif! It makes me want to play Super Nintendo.

I haven't seen it yet and might not make it in theatres at this point. I still do want to see it.
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

I saw this last friday with my brother. It was a lot of fun.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I finally saw the movie the other day! On DVD, not in theatres, at this point. I was really glad I watched it. The music and characters brought me right back to my childhood, and I liked that it was fun for all ages. Good times all around.

I loved the few seconds at the very end - looking forward to the sequel! \:D/