The Little Mermaid (2023)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

The Little Mermaid (2023)

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm not a big Little Mermaid fan to begin with, so talk of this production wasn't overly exciting for me. The teaser trailer does make it look beautifully done, with a great score. I'll wait to reserve further judgement. ;)
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

From a production design standpoint, this is probably the best-looking live-action Disney adaptation so far. That said, they don't really show any of the talking animals in this trailer. Those haven't looked good in a single movie yet. If they can nail those, this will be a visually stunning movie!
he/him | a little stinker.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

This definitely gets into the plot a lot more. i haven't seen the original in so long that I'm not the most reliable source, but it looks like there will be more stuff with Prince Eric and his castle/home in this version. I could be wrong.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I noticed it mentioned "New lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda" so there's at least a new song somewhere, I would guess there's some additional story content as well to go with it.

I think I heard the Beauty and the Beast remake did that too. I never ended up seeing that one.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, the Beauty and the Beast one did add a new song. I had thought they might use some of the Broadway version songs, which are awesome, so I ended up disappointed on that front, but the new song they added was pretty good.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

i don't know what i expected sebastian to look like, but it wasn't that.
he/him | a little stinker.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Why is the bird underwater?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm not a bird expert - is this some kind of underwater bird? :anxious: Like ducks - they'll put their head underwater to get food...though that's quite different than being fully submerged for a long period of time... #DisneyMagic ;)
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

This movie is going to look sick in HDR, any of those really colorful joints like Spiderverse or Blade Runner 2049 look spectacular in 4K HDR, especially with the newer hdr10 and Dolby vision standards.