Official AIO Comic Strip!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Official AIO Comic Strip!

Post by Polehaus53 »

The AIO Team has started releasing an official Adventures in Odyssey comic strip!
AIO Facebook Page wrote:Elsewhere in Odyssey is a Club-exclusive comic strip featuring all-new stories about your favorite characters. What are they up to that we don't hear about in the audio dramas? A free strip is released the first Monday of every month, while Club Members get to enjoy exclusive new strips every single week!
On the latest episode of the Official Adventures in Odyssey Podcast, the creators, Evan David and Brian Dawson, are interviewed and they talk about this comic and what it will be about and other projects they've worked on. Be sure to give it a listen.

One of the things this comic will be doing is featuring characters who haven't been appearing in the show and will be regularly be featuring them in this comic series. It has been confirmed that Edwin Blackgaard is one of the characters who will be featured in the comics.

Here's the first comic strip which was released on AIO's Facebook Page today.
What are everyone's thoughts on this? I'm very interested to see how this will go. \:D/ :yes:
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

What's perhaps most interesting about the strip is that it is authorized as a canon work, inasmuch as it doesn't contradict the radio show. I think this is the first time that something other than the show or an explicit, deliberate statement by the show creators on an issue has been part of the canon. The video series wasn't canon at all (nor did anyone want it to be ;-) ), while Clubhouse stories weren't official (my general impression is that they were generally expected to be taken as fanon). The bar for this series is clearly higher than it has been for other works in the past.

I'm curious what kind of resources are available to writers to avoid conflicts. I suppose it is inevitable in any long-running show, but it seems there have been a few errors and/or unresolved curiousities that fans have caught the writers on before, even in otherwise great shows (like Olivia's age during her arc). One would expect new writers to have more trouble, and that's when they only have a small subset of characters to deal with. When one of your explicit goals is to show many of the great characters of the past in current continuity, there's a lot of potential for things to get messy. I'm interested in seeing Edwin or Richard Maxwell, but I tend to be risk-averse, and I'm not sure I like the idea of a mistake potentially becoming accepted as part of canon (whether you can make the case that the comic is wrong or not).

As someone who's studied the AIO timeline extensively, and who likes keeping track of things in chronological order, I'm especially concerned about how it will be understood here. I wish I knew that something like my research in this field (or better yet, a more complete, Official edition compiled by the crew on the inside) were known and studied by the writers. Fans might say things like, 'oh the aio timeline is messed up; connie is eternally 16 18 21', or 'whit is 100 now', but there's no need to take that approach when we evaluate the episodes, and a writer who wants to write canonical works that fit in with AIO can't afford to.

I also have concerns about stories that may technically be within canonical bounds (in the sense that there's no obvious reason why they couldn't happen), but that do more damage than good. I'm not a fan of the (non-comic, but related) meteorite story; it seems to have accomplished little except 1) given Whit and Eugene a brief criminal record, 2) added some more drama to the show, 3) showed that Agent Bourland is still alive and intervenes for his friends, and 4) reduced Dalton Kearn from being a complex character to an ordinary criminal schemer. Was it worth it? I'd argue 'no'. The end result is similar to 'Blackgaard's Revenge' to me. If we plan on having more stories like that one... it's great to have the opportunity to tell stories that couldn't be told before, but that shouldn't be extended to also telling stories that didn't need to be told.

This sounds awfully negative so far, so I feel it's fair to balance it out by saying that I like the artist's style, and I like the fundamental premise of being able to show things that can't be 'on air'. It's possible that it could give us a better look at the AIO world than we have seen before. If it is done like the best Clubhouse stories, this has the potential to be a big win for AIO fans.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I think this is a fun idea. Comics and graphic novels are very popular and this could be a fun way to add to the AIO realm. It's hard to judge too much based on one comic. I'm curious to see if we get mostly light, inconsequential stuff or if there might be a different perspective on a well-known scene (what was character B doing while character A was doing stuff "on the air" etc.) or if there will be a variety of styles. Looking forward to finding out!
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

I agree with a lot of what Bob said above. As a fanfiction writer myself, I am in favor of all the supplemental Odyssey we can get, but I do see some inherent problems in making this comic strip canon.

That said, I really enjoy the art style for these, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more. Another observation from the one strip we've seen so far (and it may be too early to tell) is that it seems like these will be more like quick snapshots than whole new stories to tell, so that could help cut down on some of the possible continuity issues. I'm looking forward to seeing what else they come up with!
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

What does everyone think of the comic strip at this point?
ImageImageImage
logos linked