Announcement: Bren and bookworm continuing as admins

Are you new in town? Unfamiliar with what to do first? Pop in and take a look at several helpful guides to get you settled into your new home! You'll also find Mayoral announcements to keep you abreast of the latest developments!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Announcement: Bren and bookworm continuing as admins

Post by Catspaw »

Hi all,

As you may have noticed, we had a distinct lack of interest this election season. Luckily, Bren and bookworm have graciously agreed to remain on as administrators. They did a great job this last term. They may run fewer events, since there have been no big promises made to voters. We do need more than just me to do stuff, and I am so thankful for the generosity Bren and bookworm have shown with their time and talents here on the ToO!

Our moderators who would like to continue on are also going to provide support, so we still have a great team!

Feel free to share congratulations, comments, or questions below!

Catspaw
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

To be clear about the situation, the B Team term has concluded, Bren and I are simply being kept around for now as assistants to Catspaw to hopefully help make a few fun things happen over the next few months rather than have the lull which usually accompanies these empty terms. :)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, thanks bookworm, I should have been clear that it isn't a term extension but the previous people staying on to help out, which is greatly appreciated!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

For the record, I thought you guys were great admins, so this is good news as far as I'm concerned.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

High praise indeed from a great former admin. :yes:
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Thank you very much. I personally feel like the end kind flopped to be honest.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

I may be slightly biased, but I thought it was a good term. ;)

Here comes a wall of text!

Commenting in response to Bren... what the last few terms have shown is that it's difficult to do the job justice when you're at our life stage. The experience factor means that these teams should be better than teams from back in the day, and so our expectations are higher than they historically were, for the quality of events... while we also tend to have less time and/or less of a desire to spend that time working on these activities.

The problem with running a term based on activity is that there's no substitute for activity, and for activity, you need time. At first, we thought we had it figured out. While most of y'all work jobs and have progressed in real life, I haven't so much, which meant that I historically have had ridiculous amounts of free time for these kinds of things. So, the expectation was that Bren would provide ToO-specific experience and an 'inside angle' while I would go on a tear and do my best to 'purchase' forum activity and success with my time. I knew that, by itself, was achievable, based on my previous online experience. The trouble is that I wanted to do this, do other productive electronic things outside of the forum, and then still have real things properly prioritized.

It worked pretty well for the forum for a few weeks, but I'm a novice at time management, and my thinking and posting styles tend to be slow-paced anyway. (This post probably took me at least an hour, and I'm still not quite satisfied with it.) I quickly lapsed from being a 'part-time worker' back into my old habit of it being an 'all-consuming passion'. That may have been acceptable when I was younger, but as you've surmised from my earlier topic on this subject, I can't afford it now, and so I wiped out.

Of course, bookworm filled the position, but he was already a key player on the team. (In fact, I'd argue that his appointment didn't really change his impact so much as recognize it.) Back in the day, when there were lots of members and you could always find someone to fill a gap, you might have been able to characterize this as a straight swap (bookworm for Bob), but here it was more like the team just losing someone and not getting a replacement. When a person you lose is also a person who you hoped would drive activity, in an activity-oriented term, that's a hit. Then there were other circumstances that came up that caused y'all to have even less time, yourselves, than you already had. No amount of experience or brilliance (and I feel confident saying term 39 Bren/bookworm could match up against any other team in ToO history in those areas) is enough to overcome the lack of time to act on those qualities.

If you had someone who was more stable and balanced than me, even if they weren't as 'spectacular', you could have spread the activity across the term more evenly, so things would have gone smoothly throughout the term and you'd have ended on a 'high note'. As it is, I think the term took on something like a rocket's trajectory - an incredible surge powered by an unsustainable engine, then a glide down after running out of energy. Maybe the average performance was the same as if it were steadier, but with a recency bias, what you remember is how it ended. (It also doesn't help that I pumped our expectations up sky-high early on, so that almost anything less than a miraculous, forum-rejuvenating, record-setting term would have seemed to fall short.) But if we more fairly and objectively analyze your accomplishments, we can see that the team was still notably successful:

Social Media Advocacy - ✓
St. Patrick's Day event - ✓
Live Chats - ✓ ✓ ✓; you had three, and since the original platform post only mentioned one, that's technically three times as much as promised.
Forum Changes - ✓
Random Tidbits - ✓
Anniversary - ✓

This doesn't count or provide details for a lot of little things that set the stage for future improvements. While you haven't been re-elected, you do have a mandate (as assistants to the administration) to continue your efforts to further the forum. That means that there's some room to finish some of that 'unfinished business'.

Even if things might not have gone exactly how you or I hoped when the term started, they plausibly went better than some of our members expected a few months back ;-) . There's a lot to 'B' positive about!
TheDinosaurPlanet
Processing
Post by TheDinosaurPlanet »

I got back into the ToO during this time, and I liked it. This term has a fan in me.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOO!

Other places are okay
And some are fine
But as far as hometowns go
Well, Odyssey is mine
Oh, it's the place to be
I'm sure you will agree
Have you ever been to Odyssey?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That is a wonderful compliment for Bren and bookworm. :D
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Bob wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:35 amCommenting in response to Bren... what the last few terms have shown is that it's difficult to do the job justice when you're at our life stage.
Preach. There's a reason my first term was also my last.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Congrats, Bren and bookworm! \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Thank you all for your kind words. They are greatly appreciated. I guess when you step back and observe things, we did fairly well last term.
ImageImageImage
logos linked