Ms. Marvel

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Ms. Marvel

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It seems like the Marvel universe is expanding at a rapid pace, maybe faster than I want to keep up with. This does look like an interesting show, bringing something a bit different. I might wait to hear a review or two before I start watching.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

There certainly is a lot to keep up with these days.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I don't have significant interest in this, but then, I don't think I'm supposed to. They are really trying to diversify their product instead of just being "SUPERHERO!" to being more niche subcategories. Probably not a bad idea, but that means not every general Marvel fan will be clamoring for everything they produce.

My kid is probably still too young to care too much about this, but I appreciate they are making content focused more towards... the tween girl demographic? Or whatever this is.
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

I loved the first episode of ms marvel. ^-^ I appreciated the theme of conservative parents vs a less conservative child, which so many people can relate to. It's especially important and prevalent in the Muslim community, which Hollywood so often doesn't want to address for fear of not being politcally correct. Her powers are pretty to look at. As usual, the acting is very good. So far, it's no Moon Knight, but it's a lot of fun and I am absolutely invested.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Pound Foolish. I think I'll wait until all the episodes air and as long as the reviews are decent I'll watch this summer.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I'm so behind on the MCU I had been thinking I would move this show toward the end of my watch list as I finally work on catching up, because it seemed to be a more ancillary component, but I guess it's more connected than I thought if it's directly related to the next movie coming out.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I finally watched this series and I liked it more than I expected to! I reluctantly decided to give the first episode a try when I saw a trailer and realized that the upcoming The Marvels movie would make more sense if I was familiar with Ms. Marvel. I figured if I didn't like it I would just stop watching. Instead, I really liked it! There are only six episodes, around 45 minutes each (with varying run times, as is typical for streaming shows). I liked the family stuff, with a close loving family and some of their challenges and generational struggles.Some scenes were very sweet, and also likely relatable to many. I also learned some historical stuff, which I didn't expect! I knew very little about what is apparently known as The Partition - the division of India into India and Pakistan by Britain in the 1940s. There was quite a long chunk of one episode that took place in the past, and some other info offered too. A little Googling led me to read a few articles that made the info on the show seem reasonably accurate. I didn't expect to broaden my horizons quite so much with a superhero show about a modern Muslim teenage girl.

Overall I would recommend the show. Lots of good stuff, some interesting characters, nothing too icky.