2022 Summer Plans

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Bren
Be positive!

2022 Summer Plans

Post by Bren »

June has arrived folks. Time for everyone to enjoy the summer. What are your summer plans this year? I'm taking my staycation again this year. I haven't quite decided what all that will include just yet other than a Wod Fam Choc Sod, since that is my summer tradition. I look forward to hearing what everyone has planned.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

We will be traveling to VA for my mom's 70th birthday...other than that, no travels til September. We will just enjoy having time off school, go to the library, read books, play outside, and hopefully I can get some cleaning and organizing projects done before it's time to start up 1st grade homeschool.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I'm going to a wedding next week. . .I met this woman ten years ago at Bible school and got the run down of her FIRST DATE with this soon-to-be husband a couple of years ago. It's in Ireland, but since I live in Europe it's a pretty easy jump over. I get to hang out for the rest of the week with another girlfriend from Bible school that I haven't seen in several years, so I'm excited!!

Apparently Irish weddings tend to go until 4/5am, but since there are quite a few of us Americans attending for the bride her fiancé has kindly agreed to shut the party down at midnight. Ceremony's at 11am (I think), and then the reception starts at 2pm (I also think), so it's going to be a crazy day lol.

Aside from that I get my first summer without air conditioning :hot: while housesitting and working remotely. My leadership is moving north, but I'm following at the end of the summer, which is fine by me - I can hermit to my heart's content and still serve the Lord on the interwebs \:D/ Everything here apparently shuts down the end of July for a couple of weeks anyway.
Bren wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:09 am other than a Wod Fam Choc Sod
Do you make this yourself?? I'm assuming it's an AIO thing.
Laura Ingalls wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:04 pm We will be traveling to VA for my mom's 70th birthday...other than that, no travels til September. We will just enjoy having time off school, go to the library, read books, play outside, and hopefully I can get some cleaning and organizing projects done before it's time to start up 1st grade homeschool.
There was nothing better than the library + outside at the age. Have so much fun!!
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Termite, that sounds awesome! Have fun and make sure you tell us about the wedding in Ireland. :D

My sister and brother-in-law are expecting baby number three to make an appearance any day now, so that's what my summer plans revolve around - time with my two nieces and the new baby! It should be fun.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Laura Ingalls wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:04 pm We will be traveling to VA for my mom's 70th birthday...other than that, no travels til September. We will just enjoy having time off school, go to the library, read books, play outside, and hopefully I can get some cleaning and organizing projects done before it's time to start up 1st grade homeschool.
My summer plans involve planning pranks for when Laura comes to Virginia. :- :-
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Bren wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:09 amJune has arrived folks. Time for everyone to enjoy the summer.
Up here in Minne-snow-ta we call it a twelve week holiday.

To answer the question though, I'm taking lots of pto (got over four months saved up, gotta start using it), but no travels until the fall, and that'll be going to northern Minnesota. Performing with the U of M over the summer. Looking forward to experiencing August and September since I slept through those two months last year. That's about it.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Turning 40 \:D/

But otherwise we've never really had big exciting summer plans. My hatred for crowds and the timing of our anniversary has had us usually taking any trips or whatever in early spring instead of summer. The Kid and I will go to a lot of parks and playgrounds, but we do that in the spring and fall and on warm winter days, too. ;) It is her first summer "off" because she was part time in pre school during the last school year. But for me that just means I pick her up somewhere else after work. \:D/

I started a new job in late April so can't really take time off for a while, anyway. :mecry:
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Termite wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:35 pm
Yeah, I loosely use the recipe. I just kinda guess on the ice cream though.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:25 pm
Bren wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:09 amJune has arrived folks. Time for everyone to enjoy the summer.
Up here in Minne-snow-ta we call it a twelve week holiday.

To answer the question though, I'm taking lots of pto (got over four months saved up, gotta start using it), but no travels until the fall, and that'll be going to northern Minnesota. Performing with the U of M over the summer. Looking forward to experiencing August and September since I slept through those two months last year. That's about it.
There might be frost tonight - people are covering their plants. Summer is so glorious. ;) I hope you have a wonderful summer that helps make up for all the trials of the last year, Jonathan. :)
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Bren wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:09 am
Termite wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:35 pm
Yeah, I loosely use the recipe. I just kinda guess on the ice cream though.
Yah so I'm totally making this at some point. That sounds absolutely delicious!
Catspaw wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:49 pm Termite, that sounds awesome! Have fun and make sure you tell us about the wedding in Ireland. :D

My sister and brother-in-law are expecting baby number three to make an appearance any day now, so that's what my summer plans revolve around - time with my two nieces and the new baby! It should be fun.
I will. And babies are delightful. Enjoy all the snuggles :inlove:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Termite wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:51 am
Catspaw wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:49 pm Termite, that sounds awesome! Have fun and make sure you tell us about the wedding in Ireland. :D

I will. And babies are delightful. Enjoy all the snuggles :inlove:
Baby arrived last night, so I will get those baby snuggles very soon! Hopefully in the next few days. Thanks. :D
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I'm looking forward to my yearly staycation a week from Tuesday. I am so thankful that work approved it too. Normally I would do it in July, the same week as the PEAK conference. But, that's the same week as inventory. All that said, I'm a little over a week away from the staycation, and haven't mentally planned any of it. I'm taking about 4 or 5 days off. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds great, Bren! A staycation is a great way to take a break. Maybe plan one productive thing and then one fun thing that you usually wish you had time to do - like washing dishes and then sitting down to read a good book, or putting in a load of laundry and lying down for a mid-day rest until the load is done. Is there someone your work schedule usually doesn't allow you to see? Then make plans, even if it's just for coffee or a walk or a phone call. Plan a feline photo shoot - dedicate a time to play with your cat and get new cute pictures to share (and then post them here for us to see!) I think if you make the little things special, then you won't just feel like you did nothing but have a list of chores you completed and fun things that you did, and feel good about it.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Bren wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:10 pm I'm looking forward to my yearly staycation a week from Tuesday. I am so thankful that work approved it too. Normally I would do it in July, the same week as the PEAK conference. But, that's the same week as inventory. All that said, I'm a little over a week away from the staycation, and haven't mentally planned any of it. I'm taking about 4 or 5 days off. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Rent R rated movies on VHS from the video store that Working Bren wouldn't let you watch

Go to a zoo blindfolded and try to guess the animals

Stay up all night drinking Pepsi Blue and playing old wrestling games

Think about how great Top is

Cut down a tree. Just any tree, anywhere. Try to fashion it into a log flume.

Take a backpack full of freezer bags into a buffet and try to stash away as much food in them as you can without getting caught

Have pizza delivered to random addresses in a phonebook, but make sure to say you'll pay in cash and don't give them a credit card number

Watch creepy moments caught on Ring doorbells on Youtube

Grow a mustache or get a fake one and go into work telling everyone you're Nerb, Bren's evil twin, and cause havoc

Watch old Halloween Havoc PPVs on the Peacock Network, or rent the VHS tapes from the aforementioned video store

Buy a Sega game console online or in a game store, destroy it on video and yell "NINTENDO RULES!!!!" a lot

Do a one man performance of Jesus Christ, Superstar, in various parking lots in your community

Spray really strong weed/grass/vegetation killer in a community garden

Write your congressman

Run for congress

Start a podcast with Conrad Thompson

Find a restaurant that puts diced onions in meatloaf. Order the meatloaf. Pick out all the onions.

Make a list of things to do while on a staycation

Iron some pants, its a lost art, but also play Black Sabbath's "I Am Iron Man" while you do it.

Watch everything on Disney Plus and Netflix and rank all the content from least Woke to Wokest.

Try to get Phil Lollar to say "Yes."

Buy a bunch of Skittles and organize them by color

Buy a bunch of Skittles and organize them by flavor

Buy a bunch of Skittles and organize them in alphabetical order

Start a multimillion dollar film franchise

Wear a funny hat
Mountain_Girl
Classic

Post by Mountain_Girl »

work, medical appointments, work, some fun with family, work, staying inside most of the time, going swimming when I can.....

ImageImageImageImage
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Catspaw wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:04 pm That sounds great, Bren! A staycation is a great way to take a break. Maybe plan one productive thing and then one fun thing that you usually wish you had time to do - like washing dishes and then sitting down to read a good book, or putting in a load of laundry and lying down for a mid-day rest until the load is done. Is there someone your work schedule usually doesn't allow you to see? Then make plans, even if it's just for coffee or a walk or a phone call. Plan a feline photo shoot - dedicate a time to play with your cat and get new cute pictures to share (and then post them here for us to see!) I think if you make the little things special, then you won't just feel like you did nothing but have a list of chores you completed and fun things that you did, and feel good about it.
I like the idea of balancing housework and fun things. I have a feeling it will be hot this week so I don't know that I'll be outdoors much. I'll try to find a balance between the 2 and overall, make the week about me and Bella. :D
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Catspaw wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:49 pmTermite, that sounds awesome! Have fun and make sure you tell us about the wedding in Ireland. :D
Overdo on this! But the wedding was so great. There were a few people from the US that were also in Bible school with my friend group that I haven't seen in a decade. I didn't recognize the one couple at first, and now they have kiddos! Time, man.

Interesting tidbits: there are specific vows required by Irish law to be stated in front of everyone, and the bride and groom get to sit on fancy chairs during the ceremony. Plus, the groom was crying before anything even started. It was so precious. Pretty sure he's the definition of the "golden retriever guy."

There was a unity candle, but they had each of the mothers light their candles that they used to light the unity candle. I thought that was a nice touch - legacy and all.

We Bible-schoolers happily held a rendition of our school song as well as "Satisfied" from Hamilton. It was in the pre-dance playlist, so we had to. We HAD to.

HOWEVER, I can easily see how a wedding would go until 4am or later (3-4am was an early estimation on my part, apparently lol). WOW do the Irish know how to party. Four course dinner including dessert (honestly, probably the fanciest-schmanciest food I've ever eaten. yes, it was amazing. yes, the potatoes were my favorite xD), several side-stich funny speeches, and then around midnight they brought out chicken strips, fries, and the cake. I don't think the hotel got the memo that it was wrapping up by 1am :- But you'd definitely need sustenance for another few hours of dancing.

Also, I think this is the first time I've genuinely busted a move on the dance floor...and I learned ya girl's getting older. I was in wedge heels - not even stilettos - and by the time I kicked them off around 11pm my knees were SHOT.

The days around the wedding were fun, too. I've been to visit my friends before, but we (minus the bride xD) explored around Dublin. It's such a beautiful city!

One of the accidental highlights: the reception (and village we stayed in for easy access to our beds post-reception) was in Trim. . .where just so coincidentally one can find Trim Castle. . .which was used back in 1994 to film Braveheart :brave: The first night we got in there was a gentleman painting a mural to honor the film, not even five minutes down the road from where we had been surprised by the signage for the film! Super cool.

However, I am sad to report I don't have access to a blender, so I'm still waiting on a Wod Choc Fam Soda thing. I'll be housesitting here in a few weeks though for some other missionaries, so hopefully then. Hopefully. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds amazing, @Termite - what a neat experience! I'm glad you had such a good time. Thanks for sharing - there's no such thing as overdoing story-telling after attending a cool wedding in Ireland. \:D/