Summit Lake?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Summit Lake?

Post by bookworm »

Whit says the lake they go to in Ice Fishing is called "Summit Lake, because it's the highest one from Odyssey" but AiO Wiki shows Trickle Lake as the location of this episode and the home of Old Grundy. Was it determined at some point that these two names refer to the same place, or is this a mistake?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Good question. I never noticed that...though I also haven't listened to Ice Fishing in years. I don't have an answer. It seems like these should be two different lakes and that AIO Wiki made a mistake, but that is just my unsubstantiated musing. ;)
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

It may be complicated.

In "Ice Fishing", it's, of course, referred to as "Summit Lake". But in Album 53, according to the AIO Update blog, Monty claims he went ice fishing with his grandfather at Trickle Lake.

Without having the guide or any other information to lead me, my best guess would be that the wiki (and the AIO writers) goofed. David and I apparently share the same impression, that it was a substantial trip out of town, while Trickle Lake is pretty close (only two miles) and wouldn't be particularly out of the way.

In terms of how you explain this away, you have a few options. The first two are mentioned by David.

1) Monty and Mr. Whittaker went ice fishing at Trickle Lake on some other occasion, and he chose to mention that trip instead of the one we heard in "Ice Fishing". This almost certainly isn't what the writers intended, but I don't know if there's anything to disprove it.
2) Summit Lake is the same as Trickle Lake, in spite of any appearances to the contrary. We'd have to check every episode Trickle Lake is in to see if there's any indication it is not the highest lake in Odyssey.
3) Monty made a mistake. He's not an Odyssey native, and it's been a few years since the trip, so he might have forgotten which lake they went to and gotten it confused with Trickle Lake (which seems to be better known, or at least better frequented by Odyssey residents). It's also worth noting that Monty passes out, gets knocked out, hospitalized, etc., on multiple occasions during this arc, besides having a lot on his mind, so there's good reason to suspect he's not at peak capacity and may not be 100% reliable for things like this.

Incidentally, I just noticed that there seems to be a discrepancy when it comes to Trickle Lake's location. AIOWiki says that it's within 'walking distance' of Camp What-a-Nut, and we know Camp What-a-Nut is a good distance from Odyssey, plausibly hours away. Ned Lewis says it is 'really far out' and that it's 'some drive out here', and in "Set a Watchman", we hear it either implied or stated outright that the bus ride is long, and also that Mrs. Parker went well out of her way by driving Olivia there herself. But according to AIOWiki, in "Do or Diet", a route from Whit's End to Trickle Lake is only two miles!

Several possibilities:
1) Trickle Lake is huge, like one of the Great Lakes or another inland sea. But there's never any indication that Trickle Lake is nationally notable (as it would have to be, if this were true).
2) There are multiple bodies of water named Trickle Lake. This explanation is unreasonable. You might possibly find two lakes with the same name if they're across the country from each other, but here, it would clearly cause too much confusion, and would have been prevented by whatever agency is responsible for names.
3) They're the same body of water, and are connected by a long-distance underground river. I don't have a geological background to know if this is viable or not, but it seems a bit of a stretch to me. I'm not sure if there's any evidence for it, anyway. Two places to check would be "Swept Away" and "Breaking News".
4) Odyssey and Camp What-a-Nut are on opposite sides of the lake, you have to go all the way around, and the only roads there meander and/or go through high traffic, hence making a long trip out of a short 'straight-line' distance. If this is true, it seems like it'd be reasonable to take a boat over the lake instead of a bus, so I'm not sure what logic went into planning the trip route. Regardless, this option seems to be the default choice for now, since even if it is weaker than we'd like, it is clearly stronger than these alternatives.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The reason I asked was to ensure the accuracy of my Apples to Apples card for Trickle Lake. I originally had it mentioning Old Grundy, because I was going by the Wiki, but I just listened to Ice Fishing and noticed that's not the lake that they said there. I suppose the most correct thing to do would be change it, if there was never an official declaration from the AiO team that these are not two separate lakes.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

When it's mentioned in Album 53, I'm very positive it was just one of those "script mistakes" that the writers didn't fact check. Odyssey might be a small town, but I'm fairly certain it has more than one lake. ;)
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

In regards to Album 53, Monty isn't the one who refers to it being where they fished. Rather, he mentions that he didn't know that Trickle Lake had more than one dock. At which point, Whit says it's been a long time since they went fishing at Trickle Lake. Nothing is specified about it being ice fishing.

Unless memory fails me, I'm pretty sure that Trickle Lake feeds into Tom's land in One Bad Apple as well.
ImageImageImage
logos linked