Stanley Cup Playoffs 2022

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Stanley Cup Playoffs 2022

Post by bookworm »

ImageImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

I'm a little late in starting the thread this year, but discuss the NHL Playoffs here! \:D/

I've also once again set up a Chatroom channel for live chatting games!
Join #NHL if you're able to be online while you watch, especially if you are rooting for either team playing, and let's have some ToO viewing parties!

Schedule of games, times, and channels
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yay! I love the playoffs, even when some of my favourite teams missed the playoffs this year. :x On the plus side, a team I hate also missed. Being a sports fan is all about being a bitter and petty person. ;) (The Oilers know what they did, and they can accept the consequences of my wrath of not cheering for them.) I decided who I wanted to win in each series based on who I like and who I'm mad at, like I assume all normal and rational hockey fans do. O:)

We already have a team eliminated! The Colorado Avalanche swept the Nashville Predators in four games last night. All other series will go at least five or six games, if not seven. I was cheering for the Avs, and they were definitely the favourite in that series, but I don't hate the Preds. Getting swept sucks, so I do feel a little bad for their fans.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Lightning win Game 7 to stay alive; a threepeat remains possible.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It turns out that yelling at my TV does not help Auston Matthews score in a grade 7 situation. I'll keep that in mind for the future. Yes, the Lightning are moving on. I'm not a huge Leafs fan but I was cheering for them. They did what the Leafs do best and lost it for themselves. A threepeat for the Lightning would be incredibly impressive.

Rangers/Pens going to OT right now. I'm cheering for the Penguins but I can live with the Rangers winning. I just can't cheer against Sidney Crosby!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

The Rangers have always been my team, so I'm cheering for them to beat the Hurricanes this round. I couldn't watch the game yesterday because of birthday party prep for my 5 year old, but I'm glad they won. They always seem to win when I'm not watching. :(
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Good to hear you're still finding time to watch hockey sometimes, Laura! Now that you mention it, I do seem to recall you being a Rangers fan. You're probably like me and have to do a double-take every time you remember that it isn't Lundqvist in net. :( The downside to being old. ;) I'm fine with the Rangers winning, though I don't really hold anything against Carolina either.

I have the Tampa/Florida game on now and I can't believe that the Panthers could get swept tonight. I really thought this was their year. I was pulling for them since I still have sentimental thoughts about cheering for them back in 1996 when they got swept in the finals (see above paragraph re. I am of extremely advanced age) and I'm not shocked Tampa is doing well, but I wasn't expecting the Panthers to do so poorly.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Avalanche win their series on a last second goal!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That was such an exciting game! After the last game, where it looked like the Avs had things wrapped up and then the Blues won right at the end, it made for a great follow-up. Crushing for Blues fans, perhaps, but that doesn't impact me too much. ;) The Avs were by far the favourites, so the Blues already did pretty well.

I'm watching the Rangers/Hurricanes game and hoping for the Rangers to hang on for Laura's sake. So far the home team has won every game in this series, even though they both apparently had great road win records during the regular season. The playoffs are weird.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I missed watching tonight because of a birthday party, happy to see they got the win!! Hopefully they can get themselves together on the road on Monday....
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Sorry you missed the game, Laura. Hopefully Monday night will bring a good game. It will be interesting to see if the home win streak continues.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Down to four!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, and the first game of round three is off to a rousing start! Lots of goals, some scoring controversy (yay Makar!)...what more can you ask for in the first period of play in Avs vs. Oilers? \:D/

I'm cheering for the Avs. I don't feel the need to cheer for a Canadian team I don't like over a great Colorado team.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Avalanche swept their final.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

When I did my picks for round three in the Sportsnet contest (it's probably just in Canada) I picked the Avs to sweep! Yay me! \:D/ It was such a back-and-forth exciting game, and then with a little OT to keep up the drama, but the Avs are the superior team and it showed.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The final is set!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, it should be a great series! Tampa vs. Colorado. Tampa is going for the three-repeat, which is amazing. I would prefer to see the Avs win but it would make for a great story to see the Lightning pull off three in a row. That would be a really impressive feat. It's one of those finals where I'm okay with either team winning, which is nice in a way. A little less stressful. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh yeah, I forgot that this matchup keeps the threepeat a possibility! :o
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, it would be the first time since the Islanders in the 80s.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Reminder to US viewers: This is the first year of the new TV rights deal, so the finals are on ABC now. (Which makes this the first time the full series will be aired on broadcast television in the US, since it used to be split between free NBC and their cable channel.)

Reminder to everyone: Join #NHL for live game chat if you're able!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Interesting. I hadn't paid attention, since I watch on CBC in Canada, but now that I mentioned it I checked my listings and see that it is ABC showing the game (in addition to CBC.) I'm curious if people like the coverage or notice any difference in quality with the change.

Good game so far! Tied 3-3 as the third period starts.