Stanley Cup Playoffs 2022

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Great first game! Avalanche win in overtime!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I watched the end of the third period and decided I was too tired to stay up for OT so I went to bed, and then wished I had stayed up when I saw it took so little time for the winning goal! It's still just game one thought. We have to wait until Saturday for game two.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I've decided I'm rooting for Colorado. I have absolutely no stake either way really, and I won't actually care whichever team ends up winning, but of the two outcomes I would personally prefer seeing a new team get into the mix than see one that already won back to back trophies get a third.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yeah, that makes sense. I would be okay with the Bolts but I would like to see the Avs win. I have fond recollections of their past Cup wins, which just goes to show how ancient I am ;) and they're such a good team that it does seem like this should be their year to win.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Avalanche win again! This time not a close game; 7-0 tied the second largest goal differential in finals series history for both a shutout win and in any game period.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, what a crazy game! It's definitely rare to see such a blowout. It's not like Tampa is some surprise team that just barely made it into the finals - they are a great team. The real test will be how game three goes, when Tampa has home ice and lots of reasons to try to redeem themselves. If they lose that one then I think it's all over except for the crying. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Lightning get a lopsided win of their own tonight.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, they sure did. We have ourselves a real series now! I know some people are hoping for a seven-game series, so we'll see where this goes.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Avalanche win Game 4 in overtime!

Strange ending with all the players celebrating because they knew, but no goal signal for some reason for a really long time.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Again I decided I was too tired to stay up for OT, and then I wished that I had! Oh well. It seems like it was a dramatic finish, with the losers (big shocker) implying the goal maybe shouldn't have counted. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:10 pmwith the losers (big shocker) implying the goal maybe shouldn't have counted.
I only heard about that today, it wasn't related to whatever weirdness happened when it was actually scored. The ref somehow just didn't see the puck was in the net or something and so took forever to signal; there was no argument at the time that there was anything illegal about it, at least that the broadcast ever showed or mentioned.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:24 pm
Catspaw wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:10 pmwith the losers (big shocker) implying the goal maybe shouldn't have counted.
I only heard about that today, it wasn't related to whatever weirdness happened when it was actually scored. The ref somehow just didn't see the puck was in the net or something and so took forever to signal; there was no argument at the time that there was anything illegal about it, at least that the broadcast ever showed or mentioned.
I think I did hear that even Kadri (the goal-scorer) doubted for a second that he'd scored because the puck went into the net oddly and was kind of hidden and the goalie was positioned in such a way that he maybe could have the puck trapped between his arm and his body or whatever. Better safe than sorry to confirm the final round OT winner!

I've got the game on tonight. It would be fun for the Avs to win at home. It's always more interesting when the Cup is in the house.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Lightning stay alive!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That was a fun game, with the score so close the whole way through. Keep the hockey coming! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Colorado wins the Stanley Cup!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Woohoo! Avs win! \:D/ A well-deserved victory.

The Lightning fans were pretty classy about the whole thing, so that was nice.

I love seeing the joy on the faces of each team member as they hoist the Stanley Cup! Just a beautiful sight.They're taking the team picture as I type, and it just makes me smile to see their smiles. Oops - they almost missed getting Joe Sakic in there. Good times. It was awesome seeing him with the Cup again after all these years!

One disappointment - Gary Bettman has Covid and is absent. Who are fans supposed to boo as he tries to speak?! A true loss of a treasured tradition. I think fans gave it their best shot by booing a reference to his name but it just wasn't the same. As always, Down Goes Brown expresses it best:
https://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown/statu ... 9323628545
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Colorado dents the Stanley Cup! \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, you could see how hard it hit the ice and the announcers were definitely wondering if there would be damage. Oops! Oh well. Not the craziest thing that's happened to the Stanley Cup. ;)