Hardest Life Experiences

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Bren
Be positive!

Hardest Life Experiences

Post by Bren »

Sometimes life is like a rose bush. You have the wonderful moments of the pretty flowers. But, other times you get pricked by the thorns. Here lately, I've had a few thorns of my own. In the last 10 months, I have had both COVID and flu. In the span of a year and 3 months, I lost both my mom and stepmom to health issues. It has been an adjustment not having them to talk to about my life. Probably the toughest thing I've experienced in about 10 years.

What are some of your hardest life experiences?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

My first son being born at 24 weeks at 1 lb 6 oz, watching him turn blue as the respiratory therapists worked frantically to intubate him in the NICU, and all the subsequent therapies and medical issues.
Having Covid in Dec 2020, and ever since struggling with bad panic attacks.
My miscarriage and my Granny passing away all within a week last year.
Being back to back sick for 4 months straight this winter...stomach flu, a very bad respiratory virus, another 2 week stomach bug, the actual flu, etc....it has been emotionally and physically draining.

I'm glad through all of life's trials, God is with us, even if life seems so dark sometimes. As I've struggled through things the past few years, it's a comfort to pour over the Psalms, and really understand more of the emotions of the Psalmist as they cry out to God - and to pray those same verses myself.

I am so thankful for all the blessings that have been abundant even through the hard times! God is faithful and full of grace.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I can't begin to imagine the sheer terror of having to watch your child intubated. I am so sorry you have dealt with these things @Laura Ingalls. But, I'm glad God has been with you through it all.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

There are two that come to mind. The first is that on December 15th, 2006, one of my best friends passed away. She was 21, I was 20, and we had known each other since we were 5. The next few months were a dark time.
The second was my bout with covid last year. I got sick on July 28th, was diagnosed on Aug 2nd, went to the ER with breathing problems on the 3rd, was sent home with an oximeter, and went back on the 6th of August whereupon they admitted me. My last two memories are at 4am the next morning when they told me delicately that they were going to have to put me on a ventilator, and later that morning when one of my Pastors came by. This was on the 7th. My next memory (aside from dreams [hallucinations?]) was waking up in the heart center of the hospital on September 24th. I'd spent 7 weeks in the ICU and nearly died several times, and had to be told several times what the date was before that sunk in. I spent two more weeks in the hospital gaining strength back before going home. That part was kinda rough. I literally had to relearn how to walk. All good now though. And the support me and my family received from our churches and relatives and friends was nothing short of superb.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I ordered honey with my chicken McNuggets once but they gave me honey mustard instead. :boohoo:
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

The Top Crusader wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:17 pm I ordered honey with my chicken McNuggets once but they gave me honey mustard instead. :boohoo:
That's just wrong. How did you cope?

That sounds rough @Jonathan. I can't imagine being on a vent. It's hard enough watching family experience it.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

People have clearly been through some difficult stuff, and I'm glad that God has brought you all through. Thanks for sharing. Jonathan, I had no idea that you were so ill last year. It sounds like a miracle recovery.

One of the hardest things for me was a few years ago when my precious little niece was diagnosed with high risk leukemia. Even typing it now is hard, after she's better. I didn't tell a lot of people because I didn't like talking about it, and even months after her diagnosis, telling someone new had me in tears. It was over two and a half years of worry, appointments, chemo, lumbar punctures, feeding tubes, "finger pokes" (getting blood taken), and lots of prayer. I'm thankful for the kind people who cared and prayed, and for the healing that God blessed her with. She's happy and healthy and I am thankful every day in a way I wouldn't have known to be otherwise.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Jonathan wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:53 pm There are two that come to mind. The first is that on December 15th, 2006, one of my best friends passed away. She was 21, I was 20, and we had known each other since we were 5. The next few months were a dark time.
The second was my bout with covid last year. I got sick on July 28th, was diagnosed on Aug 2nd, went to the ER with breathing problems on the 3rd, was sent home with an oximeter, and went back on the 6th of August whereupon they admitted me. My last two memories are at 4am the next morning when they told me delicately that they were going to have to put me on a ventilator, and later that morning when one of my Pastors came by. This was on the 7th. My next memory (aside from dreams [hallucinations?]) was waking up in the heart center of the hospital on September 24th. I'd spent 7 weeks in the ICU and nearly died several times, and had to be told several times what the date was before that sunk in. I spent two more weeks in the hospital gaining strength back before going home. That part was kinda rough. I literally had to relearn how to walk. All good now though. And the support me and my family received from our churches and relatives and friends was nothing short of superb.

:shock: :shock: Good sir, I am very sorry to hear that. I am glad to hear you are in good health now though!

I would say my hardest life experience was undergoing a very difficult breakup with my fiancee shortly before our wedding. There were many hurdles we had crossed in our relationship, but it literally evaporated overnight and didn't recover. She was engaged to someone else a few months later and married not long after that, which was doubly difficult. It took me literally years and much prayer to get over that. :(