Mental Health From a Christian Perspective

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Bren
Be positive!

Mental Health From a Christian Perspective

Post by Bren »

I don't know about you guys. But, ever since COVID and just adult life in general the last few years, I have had many episodes of what most people would classify as depression that stemmed from different situations. When bringing it up in public or in social media, for prayer or whatever, I'm always worried how people will react. I also saw a comment on a Facebook post today that said mental health is highly overlooked in the Christian community. It's got me wondering.

How do you guys think that we, as Christians, should handle bouts of depression and things of that nature? If you've dealt with it yourself, what was your course of action?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I think a big mistake within the Christian community as a whole (obviously with exceptions) for ages has been to put way too much of a spiritual emphasis on mental health. Of course, not that there should be none at all, but while most (not all) Christians are fine with most modern medicine and seeing doctors, for whatever reason mental health was often not viewed the same way. The solution was usually just "well pray about it and be happy!" instead of seeking professional therapists or counselors rather than just a pastor (not that there aren't Christians in the field obviously). Plus medication in some cases.

Mental health has always had a stigma as a whole, but a much bigger one within Christian circles.
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

I see a therapist regularly. He's helped me understand myself. I have a better grasp on my emotions and can self regulate. It's also a safe place for me to process my thoughts.

Christians sometimes feel that modern medicine replaces or minimizes faith. Cancer that disappears after prayer alone is a miracle, but is it still a miracle when cancer disappears after surgery and radiation? Fortunately, most of us aren't extreme and we acknowledge that one way Good answers prayer is through the work of skilled doctors and nurses.

Add to that, mental health is often treated as a spiritual problem, and we've created an environment where seeking professional help for mental health is stigmatized. It can be seen as lack of faith, turning to the "world" when you should be turning to God, or making false comparisons, i.e. I felt down and prayed about it, you can too.

Mental health struggles are completely normal. Seeking professional help is good. Treat your mental health with the same care you give your physical and spiritual health. Don't be afraid to be honest about what you're going through. If you're feeling it, someone else is too.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
321tumbler
Tallying up

Post by 321tumbler »

Although there are still improvements that can be done, I would say the attitude in general of Christians towards mental health has been shifting. More and more Christian groups are starting to be more receptive to the idea that things such as anxiety and depression are connected to the brain and body, not just the spirit.

In my opinion, a lot of the wariness around treating mental health comes from ignoring the important connection between the body and the mind/spirit. Things that happen in our body such as imbalanced chemicals can effect our thoughts and emotions and our thoughts can affect how our body reacts. We sometimes try to separate the two and say that all the things that happen with the spirit are mental things (like emotions or thoughts), but it doesn't really work that way.