Daylight Saving Time

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Daylight Saving Time

Post by bookworm »

Could today be the last time we have to change the clocks?

There has been increasing support for the movement to end the biannual time changes for a good while now, and it's really picked up in earnest recently with 18 states passing resolutions to mandate year-round daylight saving time in the last four years. Even though they have all agreed to it though, their legislation isn't able to take effect for a complex reason that's actually pretty interesting, in a pedantic way.

The federal Uniform Time Act doesn't allow for year-round daylight saving time. For a state to enact that, their resolutions must each be approved by congress. There is a way to avoid that requirement; a state can exempt itself from daylight saving time changes by remaining in standard time year-round. This is what Arizona and Hawaii do. So if it was simply about not wanting to change clocks anymore they could decide to do that and it could go into effect without needing congressional approval. But these states want to specifically end the time changes while in daylight saving time, as that has shown indications of being better for individual health and economic productivity compared to standard time. Because of this, all these efforts have stalled and the states are continuing to spring forward and fall back each year even though they have approved legislation to stop doing so.

That hangup may finally become moot. The Sunshine Protection Act has been introduced before congress to make daylight saving time permanent on the federal level. This is the third attempt at passing this bill, it was first introduced in 2018 and again in 2019 but both died in committee. It has seen a large increase in cosponsors each time though, including this one, so we'll see what happens with it this time.
Renata
I'm memorable
Post by Renata »

I wish! Hard to believe it could really happen, but it would sure be nice. I suspect it will be a while yet, but who knows?
Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
Psalm 37:4-5
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

The whole time shift is mildly annoying, but at least it gives me an excuse to be late to things. :mrgreen:
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I had a three day weekend this weekend and had to be up earlier for work than normal on Thursday so I changed my clocks on Wednesday and I still had trouble waking up on Sunday and today. So yes, I'm in favor, as long as we go with the later times. I kinda like the sun still being up at 9pm this far north.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I say do away with daylight savings. And I agree with Jonathan, I want it to stay light out longer in the evening!
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:57 pmI say do away with daylight savings. And I agree with Jonathan, I want it to stay light out longer in the evening!
Then you want to keep daylight saving and do away with standard time.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:28 am
snubs wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:57 pmI say do away with daylight savings. And I agree with Jonathan, I want it to stay light out longer in the evening!
Then you want to keep daylight saving and do away with standard time.
Yeah, that. ^
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The bill was unanimously approved by the Senate yesterday!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

One of the most useful things the senate has done in a long time! \:D/
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Being tired because of an arbitrary time change is truly a bipartisan issue.
he/him | a little stinker.