Favorite Childhood Books

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Bren
Be positive!

Favorite Childhood Books

Post by Bren »

I recently got to thinking about books I read as a kid/teenager that I liked. A few included If I'm Lost, How Come I Found You and Mystery at Keyhole Carnival. Are you familiar with these? What are some of your favorites?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm not familiar with either of those books, Bren. They look interesting!

As a little kid I loved "The Poky Little Puppy." :inlove:

I love to read so I had lots of favourites over the years. One that stands out is "Anne of Green Gables" by Lucy Maud Montgomery. I really love all of her books, and Anne has a special place in my heart as one of those books that I have read multiple times over the years and always get something new from each time. I highly recommend it, and the whole series. Not everyone knows there are actually eight Anne books!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The Little House books
Nancy Drew
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
TheDinosaurPlanet
Processing
Post by TheDinosaurPlanet »

The Oz series, for sure. The Sugar Creek Gang, Narnia...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOO!

Other places are okay
And some are fine
But as far as hometowns go
Well, Odyssey is mine
Oh, it's the place to be
I'm sure you will agree
Have you ever been to Odyssey?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:42 am The Little House books
Nancy Drew
Good call, Laurie! I loved those as a kid too. I also liked Hardy Boys books, and, best of all, Hardy Boys-Nancy Drew Supermysteries. :inlove:
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

My favorites as a kid and a teen were:
the Hank The Cowdog series by John R. Erickson.
Lad: A Dog by Albert Payson Terhune. I really liked dogs as a kid, but I don't like most dogs anymore because most are slobbery and hyperactive.
The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain
Robinson Crusoe (I first read it around twelve. Some of it is pretty slow, but it's great around the end.)
G. A. Henty books (the only title I can remember is The Cat of Bubastes, but my favorite was about a teenage zionist around the time of Christ)
Nearly any of Patrick McManus's hunting and fishing books (They're hilarious! I highly recommend Kerplunk! and The Grasshopper Trap)
Shaking the Nickel Bush by Ralph Moody (Part of the Little Britches autobiographical series, but it works pretty well on it's own. It's really fascinating for me as a type 1 diabetic to learn how a fellow Type 1 diabetic(at least very heavily implied to be one based on symptoms) dealt with diabetes around the 1920s before safe insulin was widely discovered)
As an older teen, I really liked:
The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas (A story about a roman soldier from Jesus's crucifixion. Read the book, Richard Burton's movie version didn't do it justice.)
The All Creatures Great and small series by James Herriot
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:22 pm
Nancy Drew
Good call, Laurie! I loved those as a kid too. I also liked Hardy Boys books, and, best of all, Hardy Boys-Nancy Drew Supermysteries. :inlove:
I read and still have all of the Nancy Drew books and the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Super Mysteries. I have a few of the Hardy Boys minus Nancy Drew but I don't remember now if I read them. I spent many a happy hour with Nancy and the Little House books which I was obsessed with along with the TV series.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:50 pm
Catspaw wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:22 pm
Nancy Drew
I read and still have all of the Nancy Drew books and the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Super Mysteries. I have a few of the Hardy Boys minus Nancy Drew but I don't remember now if I read them. I spent many a happy hour with Nancy and the Little House books which I was obsessed with along with the TV series.
I was too big a fan of the books to give the TV show a chance. I have the same problem with the Anne movies - after the first one, they made so many big and totally unnecessary changes that I just couldn't enjoy it.

I was telling somebody about a Frog and Toad story today and they had no idea what I was talking about. I consider them childhood classics, so I didn't realize at first that she didn't know what I meant. Anyone else?
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I read Frog and Toad stories many times as a kid. I also liked Hank the Cowdog, The Boxcar Children, Hardy Boys, AIO novels, The Magic Treehouse, and much as it pains me to admit this, The Babysitters Club. :oops:
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, I used to love the Babysitter's Club books too! And now they're making them into graphic novels and kids love them. Everything old is new again.