Scene Hopping

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Bren
Be positive!

Scene Hopping

Post by Bren »

Does anyone ever turn on AIO specifically to listen to one scene or is it just me? At the top of my list currently is the Whit and Olivia scene in The Lost One. It's so good. I'm sure more will come to mind later.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

You have to distinguish, I think, between scene hopping and skit hopping. ;) I suspect a lot of people listened to a KYDS Radio or B-TV show at one point just to hear a single skit. I know I've turned on B-TV Revenge and B-TV Idolatry to hear single skits. (They nailed it with the Apple spoof in the latter.)

As far as regular scenes go, there are a few. Some that come to mind on short notice:
* I've probably listened to the B-17 scene (especially when the plane is attacked and in danger of going down), sea battle, space battle, or closing conversations in "Someone to Watch Over Me", independently, numerous times.
* There are a few scenes like this in "The Final Conflict" (the showdown with Jellyfish at Whit's End was iconic enough that they riffed it for GRC), but especially the closing tunnel scene.
* There are probably a lot of other DBD scenes like this - the Bones attack Whit's End, Rodney fights Jellyfish, most of Richard Maxwell's scenes ("I never forget", and the car scene), Rusty talks to Rodney (in his last live scene), et al.
* Echoing back to my first ToO post... "We still don't have a winner in the "What is he saying" contest; I'll play the clip again."
* The closing scenes in "But Not Forgotten" are probably standalone scenes, although I don't know that I've often played them as such. Alan Young played such a gentle and sweet character. "A Question About Tasha" has similar ones.
* I could see playing the climax of "The Battle" or "Waylaid in the Windy City" on their own.
* There are numerous moments in this episode that stand out, like the final confrontation, but one slightly offbeat selection that's always stood out to me from "Four Corners", that I could listen to on its own, is when Mr. Smiler gives the directions."Don't talk, just listen."
* At one point, I did an edit of "Red Wagons and Pink Flamingos" that slightly altered the dialogue in one of the conversations between Erica and Courtney. As a result, I replayed that scene multiple times, more than I probably ever would have otherwise. ;)
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

Bob wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:51 am * Echoing back to my first ToO post... "We still don't have a winner in the "What is he saying" contest; I'll play the clip again."
* The closing scenes in "But Not Forgotten" are probably standalone scenes, although I don't know that I've often played them as such. Alan Young played such a gentle and sweet character.
I've listened to a Cryin' Bryan Dern clip from Top This! only for the quote game once myself. AioWiki is great for copy/pasting a favorite quote, but it doesn't always have the one I'm looking for.
I've listened to parts of But Not Forgotten standalone a lot in the past personally because Jack Allen's words to Connie and Scrub are really comforting to me.

I skip part of an episode a lot of the time if one half is really funny but the other half isn't very entertaining. Top This! is a great example and Poor Loser is another one that comes to mind. Eugene and Bernard's chess game is hysterical, but I couldn't care less about the whiny girl and her volleyball team.

I'll also skip parts of the episode if it's Odyssey Sings looking for a particular song or if I'm looking for a particular funny moment in an otherwise bad episode i.e. Dwayne's rap in Chores No More. So cringey and yet way better than most real rap.

Part of whether or not I skip part of an episode also depends on what format I'm using to listen to the episode. If I'm listening to it on mp3(ripped my CDs and used audio capture to digitize most of my tapes), I'll skip over parts that I don't care about, but if I'm in the car hearing it on tape I don't skip any of it. I may be an adult taking college courses, but my folks still drag me along in the backseat of an older pickup when we make 8 hour round trips to get a trailer load of hay. That's where I still use tapes. Having 9 horses is a curse. I use CDs mostly if I'm cleaning or if I'm sick, so I normally don't bother skipping parts.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I don't usually do this with AIO. There are some movies or TV shows that I'll just watch favourite scenes (especially if there are multiple storylines but only one I really find interesting enough to rewatch) but not with Odyssey. Maybe it comes from my advanced age - we didn't just easily skip to just the spot we were looking for on cassette tape. ;) It's funny because I agree with some of the above posts about highs and lows in episodes, like Patterson referenced for Top This! and Poor Loser, but I don't actually skip through the less interesting parts.
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

Scene hopping is something I do all the time. I often go to an episode just to hear a particular scene. Here are a few I can think of:
In “A Glass Darkly”, I sometimes skip to just listen to the part where Bart Rathbone gives Whit the broken Vacuum cleaner. Bart’s reasoning as to why Whit should take the vacuum makes me laugh. Anything with Bart is usually hilarious, and I often go to episodes with Bart just to hear the scenes with him.

In The Ties That Bind, I often just skip to the scenes where Jay, Matthew, Emily, and Harlow are investigating the ghost town
in Hangman’s Hallow. I like listening to their interactions with each other, they’re all fun characters to hear together.

I sometimes just go to the scenes in “Poor Loser” where Bernard and Eugene play chess.
Bob wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:51 am You have to distinguish, I think, between scene hopping and skit hopping. ;) I suspect a lot of people listened to a KYDS Radio or B-TV show at one point just to hear a single skit.
I as well have done this. I sometimes go to “B-TV: Idolatry” just to listen to the Gifts For Madge And Guy, Part 2 which in my opinion is absolutely amazing and one of my all-time favorite stories in Odyssey.

I’m sure there are a ton of others, but that’s all I can think of right now. \:D/
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
TheDinosaurPlanet
Processing
Post by TheDinosaurPlanet »

No, I've never done this. I do think Tom for Mayor 1&2 have some good scenes though.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOO!

Other places are okay
And some are fine
But as far as hometowns go
Well, Odyssey is mine
Oh, it's the place to be
I'm sure you will agree
Have you ever been to Odyssey?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It's been literal decades, but I would occasionally go back and listen to the Imagination Station montage of clips in "The Time Has Come" and Blackgaard and Jack's confrontation in "Final Conflict" back in the day.