Ad blockers

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Ad blockers

Post by Bob »

I haven't typically used much in the way of ad blocking extensions before, because I've always felt it's a little ethically ambiguous to get rid of content that is used to financially support websites, but my patience is starting to wear thin. Indecent ads seem to be very common these days, and it isn't obvious when you go to a site that you're liable to get ambushed with one. It's not much better than the old pop-up epidemic, and I didn't have any qualms about proactively killing those. Besides, they tend to increase resource usage, and since I'm using a Chromebook, I don't have that many resources to go around.

What are y'all's thoughts on this issue? If you do use an ad blocker, which one do you recommend, and why?
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Oh, my. I would consider it unethical to browse the Internet without an ad-blocker. For very conscientious individuals, blocking arbitrary content that might appear would be very appealing if not mandatory for conscience's sake. As a matter of computing, it is dangerous to allow arbitrary advertisements to load; malicious parties have been known to pass malware and power-wasting computing-cycle operations like crypto-currency mining as "ads."

I use uBlock Origin by gorhill. It's the current, singular piece of technology that is important for blocking ads. (I also do dns-based blocking but that's beyond the available technology of most people; think of it as manually doing a "pi-hole" setup, because I run my own dns servers).
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
KnittingFun14
Processing
Post by KnittingFun14 »

We use Adblock Plus. I find it works really well. It keeps unwanted adds off sites and your search results as well as adds on YouTube videos. My mom has it on her Chromebook and I use it on my Windows.
I normally go by N on the chat, but it's actually short for...
"No, John, I can't marry you. Why? Because my father won't let me. He says you're not good enough for me, John.
Yes you have big muscles and know how to run a farm, but I need a man that can give me the moon.
You are not the sun. I am." -Pengwin
Renata
I'm memorable
Post by Renata »

I use the browser Brave, it has it's own ad blocker, which seems to work well.
Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
Psalm 37:4-5