Chrome OS Flex

Alternatively gonna sweep the nation?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Chrome OS Flex

Post by Bob »

From Google's blog notice:
"Chrome OS Flex is a new, free-to-download operating system from Google. Built for businesses and schools, it’s fully compatible with Google’s powerful cloud-based management. Chrome OS Flex modernizes devices you already own, allowing you to experience the benefits of Chrome OS on PCs and Macs."
This capitalizes on Google's acquisition of CloudReady, a Chrome OS clone, by making it on-brand. They're pushing it as 'the' solution for aging computers which Apple and Microsoft are abandoning.

We've had Linux distributions try to do this job for years, but there's always been too many rough edges for most casual users to get by. This has the chance to change that; Chrome OS has become genuinely a good (although not perfect) operating system. The main difficulty is that many people are rightly wary of Google, which is auditioning to replace Microsoft as the world's most despised tech company that everyone still uses products from. However, Chromebooks have become massively popular in spite of that, and given the choice of using Windows XP, vs. using Flex and at least having a modern browser, I think this may well get a major following.
Last edited by Bob on Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added a comma
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

As a side conversation, I doubt the average consumers even think much about Microsoft, much less dislike them. I expect more people would like to claim they dislike facebook (for the unpspoken reason that it's now where your grandma goes) because of privacy concerns.

And there are projects out there for modern browsers on Windows XP. You'd have to go look for them, of course, which means I can see what you mean about an easy choice for a modern browser on this new Chrome OS Flex.

I would not be in the target market for this OS. I already have solutions for older systems. I've helped users with Chromebooks usually for basic desktop support, like connecting to a local printer on a school-issued Chromebook (that was "fun", but actually on-par with regular printer troubles because they stink).
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
TheDinosaurPlanet
Processing
Post by TheDinosaurPlanet »

I use Vivaldi. Much, much better browser.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOO!

Other places are okay
And some are fine
But as far as hometowns go
Well, Odyssey is mine
Oh, it's the place to be
I'm sure you will agree
Have you ever been to Odyssey?