908: The Christmas Bells

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How do you rate this episode?

1 Pride and Prejudice
No votes
2 Emma
100%
3 Sense and Sensibility
No votes
4 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
No votes
5 Austenland
No votes

Total votes: 1

KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

908: The Christmas Bells

Post by KODY 105 »

Episode summary
Jason and Wilson tell Zoe the story of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, the author of a famous Christmas carol. It’s a story filled with joy, tragedy, and ultimately truth about God’s role in difficult circumstances.
My thoughts
A historical story about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Sounds typical for all these hymn writers, really. Nothing to see here. It's a shame I've never cared that much for hymn history. I was pretty much never a fan of these types of episodes, but that's a personal failing and not a failing of the show.

And then the shoehorned bit about the almost-voice that almost-told almost-Uncle-Willy that "one in three will fall." I guess in hindsight we know this is about Emily's fall from her faith (result still pending as of this broadcast date). That was entirely unrelated to the main story; it felt very separate and crudely attached.

2/5
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Stephen P
Hexadecimal teenager
Post by Stephen P »

I absolutely love the music variations present throughout this episode...both in instrumentation and in the vocal melody line. Absolutely incredible.

The story itself was fascinating and something I have definitely shared multiple times with others since then.