Turning Red

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Turning Red

Post by bookworm »

I've been seeing tv spots for this upcoming movie which were weird so I watched the full trailer and it's even more weird.

It's Pixar so I'm assuming it will be good, but this just seems bizarre to me.

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I saw a trailer a while ago and thought this looked great! I'm looking forward to watching it on Disney Plus next month. It looks quirky and fun and like an interesting story. It might be of slightly more interest to Canadians because it takes place in Toronto, which is kind of fun.

BUMP:

Turning Red just became available on Disney Plus yesterday and I had a little time today so I decided to watch. It was interesting, though slightly more mature than I had expected. The story was decent and the panda was very cute. It takes place in Toronto in 2002, so it was fun to see flip phones and all that stuff that makes me feel ancient twenty years later. ;) I did love the Canadian setting, with Canada flag pjs and a school named after a former prime minister (Lester B. Pearson) and lots of shots of the CN Tower. It's not for younger children, in my opinion, between some spiritual stuff and puberty stuff. I laughed through some of it, but I wouldn't have been if a kid was watching with me wondering what was going on. :mad: Parents/siblings/whoever should definitely preview or check out a detailed review to make sure they're comfortable first. Not saying anything is super bad or anything - just a bit more than I would have expected based on the ads.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

My wife and I both work with youth and young students. We watched it last night and openly wept. I haven't cried that hard at a Pixar movie since Inside Out.

Time will tell, I think, how well it "ages," and if some of the cultural references will feel overly dated a decade from now ("4-town," etc)... but I can't imagine the zeitgeist of Gen Z being captured more perfectly.

It also made me want to see Brave again. I think these are very thematically similar.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

So yeah as it turns out, unlike most Pixar movies, you actually probably shouldn't just up and watch it with a four year old.

I've already seen the lazy Facebook screenshots of reasons the Conservapolice are tell you to boycott this. I thought it was pretty much fine but just targeted up to tween/early teens and on up instead of the general audience of most Pixar. A good message there for the right age. Or we could just all boycott it because puberty exists and kids that age have crushes and disobey their parents sometimes.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I really enjoyed it. It embraced the ridiculousness and the nostalgia. And I think it was one of their most genuine movies with a great look at generational trauma.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

The Top Crusader wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:41 amSo yeah as it turns out, unlike most Pixar movies, you actually probably shouldn't just up and watch it with a four year old.
Funny enough, it says 9+ on the upper corner when it first plays. It's totally fair to assume that a Pixar film is intended for littles, but with the upping of a suggested age one would think it would be more clearly stated.

Can I just say - cultural details aside - it was like looking in a mirror. Oh the joys/cringe of pubescence \:D/ I remember when I realized I was crushing on a boy I had stubbornly been denying was cute just to be hipster. I can't draw, but hoo boy was the emotional processing similar xD
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I like how it was set in the early 2000s, felt like a real period piece.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The real crazy thing is how recent that seems to me, and yet how math states that it was clearly twenty years ago! I think it was super smart to set it in that time, since it appeals to the parental part of the audience and brings plenty of laughs for us old folks.