The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Post by bookworm »

First footage of the most expensive television series ever made:

jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

PRIME VIDEO

I'm screaming at myself not be cynical, but 90% of what's shown here has the same video game-esque plastic texture that the Hobbit did, which makes me sad and bored. The Hobbit was so bad. :(
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm not super invested. When it comes to LOTR, I've read the books and seen the movies, but I'm not a hardcore fan or anything. I hope it turns out to be good for those who do love it, which is a lot of people, including a couple of friends of mine who are huge LOTR fans. I'll only watch if I hear really good things.
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

I'm afraid that they'll pretty much make everything up. From what I've read online, it's supposed to be set in the 2nd Age of Middle Earth. As a nerdy but not obsessed tolkien fan, I don't really remember much for stories that happen in the 2nd age. The White tree is felled, Numenor falls and the Rings are forged, but they'll have to make up plenty. The animation does look cheap. I kinda wish they were making one off of the Simarilion/Lost Tales(The Lost Tales versions are better in my opinion because they read like stories, not a history textbook) stories instead as they'd have more to go off of. I guess that an advantage of using the 2nd age is that when they do make things up, it's a little less likely to anger fans of the books since there's not as much in the source material.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Patterson wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:55 pmI'm afraid that they'll pretty much make everything up.
That's actually precisely why many big Tolkien fans are excited about this show. You're right that there are next to no existing canonical stories from this time period, which means they have almost free reign to show new history of Middle Earth from a time long wondered about but never known about.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

if liv tyler is not in this, i am not interested. :noway:
he/him | a little stinker.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

On a totally unrelated note, if Orlando Bloom is not in this, I am not interested. :noway:
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

If Tom Bombadil is not in this, I'm not interested. :noway:
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Stephen P
Hexadecimal teenager
Post by Stephen P »

Looks like we may have a lot of not-interested folks :P .

I'm hopeful that this will be good. Not super optimistic of it, but hopeful.
coffeeappreciation
Gold Member
Post by coffeeappreciation »

If, um, if I don't see treebeard or something, I'm not interested EITHER. :noway:

Actually the more I think about their "free" license to story, the more excited I get. Hmm!
Psst! Hey, you! Yeah, you there! Thanks to everyone who helped hatch my dragon egg! :anxious:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Full teaser is out:

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It looks beautiful, and quite interesting. Like I've said before, I'm not familiar with the source material (other in the vague sense of reading/watching the LOTR books and movies) so I can't speak to the story aspect but it looks pretty good.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Lots of new footage in the Comic-Con trailer: