Ask an Optician

I am not a doctor

The place for all those "Questions for this fascinating user" threads so they're all in one place!
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

Pirate Oriana wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:42 pm Yes!
Touché.

What are some of the reasons you preferred pirates over ninjas?

Do you have a favourite candy, and if so, what is it?

Have you ever considered learning to speak with a British accent?
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Bob wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:43 am
Pirate Oriana wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:42 pm Yes!
Touché.
I'm sorry. I couldn't help it. O:)
Green is my favorite colour by the way.
What are some of the reasons you preferred pirates over ninjas?
Ninjas feel like they're more about order and discipline- neither of which I am particularly good at. Whereas pirates seem to be more chaotic and bombastic- which I feel fits better with my personality.

Also, Ninjas seem pretty exclusively Japanese to me at least. But ANYBODY can be a pirate. The qualifications are: can get on a boat somehow.
Do you have a favourite candy, and if so, what is it?
Skittles
As long as the green is lime
Have you ever considered learning to speak with a British accent?
I can do a mediocre English, Irish, and Scottish accent. (I haven't tried Welsh really.)

Fun fact: I worked at a youth camp one year, and they had a tradition that all of the staff would get "camp names". Every week we introduced ourselves to a new group of teens and then challenge them to figure out everyone's real name by the end of camp

Long story short - my camp name was Merida (the Scottish Disney princess) and I spent the entire first week of camps speaking exclusively in a Scottish accent. I told anyone who asked what state I was from, but I still think several of them thought I might actually be from Scotland.
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

If you were to ask someone else on here a series of questions, what would those questions be?
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Bob wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:44 am If you were to ask someone else on here a series of questions, what would those questions be?
I'm leading my church's adult Sunday school class this week so it would probably be something like.

What (if any) is the difference between confession and repentance?

What is the purpose of confession?

Can unconfessed sins be forgiven?

Can confession be private, or should there be another human involved?

Is choosing not to confess your sins to the people around you the same as hiding your sin?
(Prov. 28:14)

Is there ever a time where it is WRONG to confess a sin?

I could probably go on, but I'll leave it there.
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

what the heck is an eye please help me i am freaking out
he/him | a little stinker.
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

Pirate Oriana wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:58 pm
bookworm wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:33 pm It didn't require prior training? I've always assumed any job remotely medical had to be something you planned to do and prepared for ahead of time in at least some capacity. That could well be an incorrect assumption, it's just what I've always figured.
That depends partially on state law (I am of course speaking from experience living in the US. I have no idea about the specifics in other countries.) And what an employer requires. However, many states (mine included) don't actually require licensing in order to work as an optician.
I also work entirely on the post exam side of things. I sell glasses, I adjust and repair them, and (when I can) answer question that people have about their eyes. Most of that was learned through on the job training and supplemented by studying some ophthalmology text books on my own and annoying the optometrist next door with random questions.
This intrigues me since I'm a CphT that has 2 doctors telling me to get off my feet. Doing medicine without college or a lot of classroom time is my type of jam but do you get to spend less time on your feet than the average retail pharmacy tech?
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Steve wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:58 pm what the heck is an eye please help me i am freaking out
Basically: A ball filled with jelly, a focusy piece, nerves, so many muscles, and a tiny area at the back that does the thing when there's light.
AMDG

Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

radgeek wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:35 pm
Pirate Oriana wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:58 pm
bookworm wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:33 pm It didn't require prior training? I've always assumed any job remotely medical had to be something you planned to do and prepared for ahead of time in at least some capacity. That could well be an incorrect assumption, it's just what I've always figured.
That depends partially on state law (I am of course speaking from experience living in the US. I have no idea about the specifics in other countries.) And what an employer requires. However, many states (mine included) don't actually require licensing in order to work as an optician.
I also work entirely on the post exam side of things. I sell glasses, I adjust and repair them, and (when I can) answer question that people have about their eyes. Most of that was learned through on the job training and supplemented by studying some ophthalmology text books on my own and annoying the optometrist next door with random questions.
This intrigues me since I'm a CphT that has 2 doctors telling me to get off my feet. Doing medicine without college or a lot of classroom time is my type of jam but do you get to spend less time on your feet than the average retail pharmacy tech?
Based on what I know/have seen of retail pharmacies: for sure.

I mean, I have to be on my feet for several tasks: like assisting patients while they try on frames, cleaning, repairs, etc. However, these times tend to get broken up quite a bit by opportunities to sit down while doing the actual order in the computer, or paperwork, or just because it's slow and my body needs a break from being totally upright on a cushionless floor.
(This should also be true (if not more so) if you were working more directly with the doctor, based on what I've seen every time I pop over to the one next door.)
AMDG