Wolf protections restored in US

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Wolf protections restored in US

Post by Bob »

An NPR article says that federal protections for the gray wolf have been reinstated, curtailing recent hunting in northern states that threatened their population.

Is it a gray wolf if it's American born, and grey for everywhere else? ;)

I suppose the fact that we haven't had them around lately means that I have a limited understanding of the dangers of wolves, or why we got rid of them in the first place. Apparently they originally killed them off to help protect livestock, which I suppose is understandable, but now that most ranching is done on an industrial scale, and we've invented so many ways to protect them, I'm not sure how much of a problem this would be today.

That said, in Texas, we now do have a wild hog problem, which is purported to have been influenced by the loss of the gray wolf, one of their few natural predators. Hogs are large, tough, destructive, breed rapidly, and have less fear of humans than we would like. We still have coyotes to try to keep them in check, but those are a weak substitute for true wolves, like off-brand 'toasted oats' instead of Cheerios. If bringing some wolves back would cut down on the quantity of hogs we have, I suspect we could live with the consequences of that.

This action isn't 'bringing wolves back to Texas', but I'm sympathetic towards keeping these useful predators around the places they're at, so I think I'm in favor of it.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Reintroducing Wolves in North America has done wonders for overpopulation of animals like Deer, Elk, and Boar which threaten a lot of native plants due to their own diets. Wolves are good. Can confirm.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

DEFUND NPR!!! :protest:
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

The Top Crusader wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:30 am DEFUND NPR!!! :protest:
And all the congregation said Amen. Publicly funded radio that doesn't play AiO? No thanks.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------