Bringing back old voice actors SPOILERS FOR THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT!!!!!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Bringing back old voice actors SPOILERS FOR THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT!!!!!

Post by The Top Crusader »

So apparently in the Book of Boba Fett when they BROUGHT IN LUKE SKYWALKER OH WOW SPOILERS!!!!!! they not only digitized his STUPID FACE but also, instead of uh... de-aging Mark Hamill's voice and having him voice himself, they apparently used a computer program where they fed in old lines of his from age-appropriate media, and it was able to construct an accurate copy of his voice for the new dialogue.

SO!! How would you feel about Focus using that type of technology to bring back Tom, Bernard, Bart, Eugene, etc? FIRE Andre Stojke and BRING BACK HAL SMITH!!!??? :x
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Just bring eeryone back and have millions of characters in every episode. :noway:
ImageImageImage
logos linked
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

The Top Crusader wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:30 am So apparently in the Book of Boba Fett when they BROUGHT IN LUKE SKYWALKER OH WOW SPOILERS!!!!!! they not only digitized his STUPID FACE but also, instead of uh... de-aging Mark Hamill's voice and having him voice himself, they apparently used a computer program where they fed in old lines of his from age-appropriate media, and it was able to construct an accurate copy of his voice for the new dialogue.
WHAAAATTT, REALLY?.. I've only seen The Force Awakens, so I had no idea of this. :boohoo: Wow, now I'm scared to watch the movie. :thud:
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

i think they should go full star wars and let a bunch of losers from reddit write the show too!
he/him | a little stinker.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Bren wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:44 amJust bring eeryone back and have millions of characters in every episode. :noway:
AiO: Into the Whit-a-verse - all three versions meet each other!
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

bookworm wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:59 pmAiO: Into the Whit-a-verse - all three versions meet each other!
This is probably old news by now, but:

Someone on a Discord channel also pieced together a version of the opening scene from "No Way Out", with Hal Smith's Whit instead of Lester. I'm not sure it was authorized (although it might qualify for free use), but it was both uncanny and amusing. I'd like to hear more in that style.
The Top Crusader wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:30 am ...instead of uh... de-aging Mark Hamill's voice and having him voice himself, they apparently used a computer program where they fed in old lines of his from age-appropriate media, and it was able to construct an accurate copy of his voice for the new dialogue.

SO!! How would you feel about Focus using that type of technology to bring back Tom, Bernard, Bart, Eugene, etc? FIRE Andre Stojke and BRING BACK HAL SMITH!!!??? :x
My understanding is that CGV is still in its growing stages, a little like CGI in the 1990s. The CGI for faux-Mark Hamill is sharp, but the voice acting has been bashed, and it'll probably take a few more years before it's good enough for production (if it ever is). In an audio show, where the voice is almost everything, I don't think they can pull off the swap in a convincing way... at least not yet.

If they could, I doubt they would switch to doing it permanently for major characters. I think they feel it is important that real people be involved in bringing these stories to life. I could see them doing this to keep characters available for cameos and minor roles, though, because they have done basically that already, in limited cases.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yes, I remembered shortly after I said that that one of our members had actually done it! :lol:

Original post by Dallas R

See also: Bart meets Bart and Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

I was working on a paper for school the other day that wanted me to find some specific examples of social engineering(more or less pretending to be someone else to sabotage their company) and two of the examples I found were people using CGV to pretend to be someone's boss and then transfer large amounts of money. A bank in the UAE got hit really hard. https://gizmodo.com/bank-robbers-in-the ... 1847863805 It's scary what people can do with the technology if it's used wrong.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I avoided this thread when I first saw it because I was behind on Boba Fett and didn't want spoilers, but I probably had already accidentally seen this level of spoiler prior to seeing the last few episodes anyway. ;) I did appreciate the warning, Top!

It is pretty cool what they can do with technology. I think it still has some limitations, as others noted above. I assume Top was mostly kidding. Hal Smith continues to be my favourite Whit, but I think I would still rather have a voice I like a little less and know that a real person was doing it than knowing some computer program is saying wise and caring things.