New thread/post anxiety

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

New thread/post anxiety

Post by Bob »

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems hard to me to post a new thread on the forum, especially in contrast to bringing up a subject on instant chat. My first thought is usually something like, 'no, nobody would care about that here; it's too niche/arcane/childish/complex/etc'. It's not uncommon to try a bunch of things on #aio and see if they sink or swim, but here I feel like I only want to post something if there's a fair chance it will be 'successful'.

Even when I do decide it might be worth trying a thread, the bar seems a lot higher to make an opening post vs. introducing a subject 'live'. It isn't uncommon for me to monologue about something, but I don't usually do it right away; I usually only do that after I've been warmed up to the subject. Here, though, I feel like I have to open up with a monologue just so that readers have gotten their "money's worth", so the result is that I frequently don't post at all.

Has anyone else experienced something similar in their time on the forum?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

My problem is sometimes more being forgetful than being reluctant. I very rarely start threads (other than for specific board-related stuff that has to be me) partly because I might have a thread idea in my car or wherever and the by the time I'm on the ToO the thought is long gone. ;)

I can see what you mean - it doesn't feel great to start a thread and then have nobody post and wonder why. You don't know who else might be interested until you post, though!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Bob wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:08 pmHas anyone else experienced something similar in their time on the forum?
Clearly not me, looking at how often I start new threads. Granted I spend most of my time in HT where it's easier to open new discussions up with the pretext of a new movie or show coming out doing most of the work initiating the discussion.

I start a fair number of general subject threads as well though, and have never second-guessed any of them. If I see something online that is particularly interesting, or if a subject comes to me that I feel I have worthwhile input on, I post about it. I don't base whether I make a post on how much traction or lack thereof it might have; any amount of new posts is better than none so if I have something I think is worth sharing I go ahead and put it out there. The worst that might happen is no one else cares to respond, and if that's the case oh well at least I did my part to keep the community active.
Renata
I'm memorable
Post by Renata »

Yes, definitely, but I'm rather shy in real life, so I expect that that's part of it.
Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
Psalm 37:4-5
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I wouldn't call it anxiety for me. Just a difference of taste. I don't keep up with normal sports these days so that kinda keeps me out of that topic. Only Top keeps up with wrestling around here. I haven't found anyoe to discuss NCIS with over in HT either. Which is why I normally stay in the shadows of TEP.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Nope. When I have a topic that is at home on a forum, I dive right in and post it. I guess I'm not as wordy as I used to be (small joke; oldbies will get it). I think my involvement with AIO has been waning a little bit since a few months ago when I started up my daily AIO listening and posting.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
KnittingFun14
Processing
Post by KnittingFun14 »

I'm bad at coming up with topics, and when I do, I never know if it's been done before and I don't want to bring up something old. I'm also always nervous I'll post it in the wrong place
I normally go by N on the chat, but it's actually short for...
"No, John, I can't marry you. Why? Because my father won't let me. He says you're not good enough for me, John.
Yes you have big muscles and know how to run a farm, but I need a man that can give me the moon.
You are not the sun. I am." -Pengwin
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

KnittingFun14 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:37 amI'm bad at coming up with topics, and when I do, I never know if it's been done before and I don't want to bring up something old. I'm also always nervous I'll post it in the wrong place
Those are both very understandable reservations, but let me say neither should ever keep you, or anyone else, from posting something!

If you aren't sure if there's already a thread about something that means if there was one it's been buried from inactivity, so whether it's a repeat or not go ahead and start/restart the discussion! If there was a previous thread a mod will merge yours with it if appropriate, it's not something to worry about at all!

Same with posting in the wrong place, if you do it a mod can simply move the thread.

The important thing is to have people posting! It doesn't matter if the topic was already brought up some time in the past or if the thread is in exactly the right forum, what matters is having active, current community engagement!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

bookworm wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:59 pmIf there was a previous thread a mod will merge yours with it if appropriate, it's not something to worry about at all!
I do it all the time! I even once reported my own thread, when I placed it in the wrong subforum. Catspaw and I are closer than ever, with how many messages and reports I send her.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

KODY 105 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:16 pm
bookworm wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:59 pmIf there was a previous thread a mod will merge yours with it if appropriate, it's not something to worry about at all!
I do it all the time! I even once reported my own thread, when I placed it in the wrong subforum. Catspaw and I are closer than ever, with how many messages and reports I send her.
Best friends forever! :highfive: (It really isn't that many, though.) ;)

I can see concerns over posting in the wrong place can feel stressful, so I echo what others have said about posting anyway, because it really is very simple to move a thread if necessary, and there are also some threads that could logically fit more than one place, so it isn't always a big deal. Another option could be to PM another member for advice if you feel more comfortable doing that. I wouldn't mind, and I'm sure bookworm and lots of other users would be happy to help as well.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Renata wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:19 pm Yes, definitely, but I'm rather shy in real life, so I expect that that's part of it
Being shy has its drawbacks for sure. As a result, I didn't realize that you weren't a new member. Not only that, your time here dates back to '06 which is cool.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Renata
I'm memorable
Post by Renata »

Bren wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:04 am
Renata wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:19 pm Yes, definitely, but I'm rather shy in real life, so I expect that that's part of it
Being shy has its drawbacks for sure. As a result, I didn't realize that you weren't a new member. Not only that, your time here dates back to '06 which is cool.
It's why 99% of my posts are in the 'Counting to One Hundred Thousand' thread, I'm sorry to say.
Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
Psalm 37:4-5