Super Bowl LVI

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Super Bowl LVI

Post by bookworm »

ImageImage   Image   Image

ImageImageImageImage

Discussion thread for Super Bowl LVI, Cincinnati Bengals vs Los Angeles Rams!
February 13th on NBC at 6:30 PM ET.
  • Cincinnati matched the biggest comeback ever in a championship game to upset last year's Super Bowl runner up Chiefs and advance to this game.
  • The Bengals are making their first Super Bowl appearance in 33 years, defying the underdog label they had all playoffs as a team with only two wins and four wins in the previous two seasons. They are seeking their first ever Super Bowl victory.
  • The Rams will be just the second team in NFL history to play in a Super Bowl at their home stadium, one year after the Buccaneers became the first to do so.

I'm so excited we have a ToO team in the game! I will be rooting for Top's Bengals! \:D/

Be sure to come by the Chatroom party in #NFL to live chat the game while you're watching! Or just come hang out even if you aren't watching!
If you're at a real life party and aren't able to watch and chat try to check in at some commercial breaks or halftime if you can!

2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2006
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I'm still in shock. After the last two seasons I had no expectations of the Bengals even making the playoffs, then it was basically, "Well, they haven't even *won* a playoff game since I think 1990, so it'd be cool if they finally did that." ...and then they somehow go all the way to the Super Bowl. :shock:

Their previous two Super Bowl losses in the 1980's were both against the 49ers, so it would've been kind of interesting if this had been a round 3, but as great as it would be to beat them, it'd be pretty sad to lose to them again. The Rams decided it wasn't going to happen this year, either way. Don't love that they get to play in their own stadium, but the Bengals actually win road games now, so...
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

This is almost reminiscent of the wild card giants beating out the patriots. Not saying the Bengals will win, but if they do it’ll be an upset for sure.

I’m rooting for LA myself, Stafford and Michel on the same offense? In the same year the Dawgs won? Yeah it’s another W for Georgia by proxy.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

EK wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:25 amThis is almost reminiscent of the wild card giants beating out the patriots.
That Giants win was the upset of all upsets in NFL history. It was shocking they even made the playoffs, let alone managed to make it through to the Super Bowl, and their opponent was in line for the first ever 19-0 undefeated season.

This Bengals team is having surprising success, definitely, but it's not feeling like a fluke. They got things clicking in the second half of the season and it's continued into the playoffs. The Rams are good, but certainly don't seem unbeatable. They're a better team on paper and more people will be expecting them to win than CIN, but it's not unimaginable that the Bengals could pull of the upset. If they do it's not going to be a jaw dropping shock like the Patriot's loss was.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I was thinking more of the 2011 season than the 2007 season. Should have clarified. (Though as a Giants fan it’s nice to remind people they did it twice)

The Giants had a very similar season that year going 9-7 (worse than the 10-6 in 2007 btw) and winning 3 of their last 4 going into the playoffs, winning the division by a game, having a defense that kind of found their identity going into the playoffs. Championship game going down to a nail biter… It’s very similar.

…but at the end of the day it’s going to be a bit dissimilar because they’ll more than likely lose. Go rams! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

EK wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:23 pmI was thinking more of the 2011 season than the 2007 season.
Ah ok that is a better match. Their preventing the undefeated season is one of my all time favorite sports memories so I just assumed you must have meant that one since you didn't specify.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Even still, the Giants 07 win wasn’t entirely a fluke either, they were the closest anyone got to beating the Patriots in the last game of the season. The championship team was there the whole time, they just needed to get it together.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I'm rooting for Top's Bengals as well. I also have a wrestling reporter I follow who is rooting for the Bengals. So, hopefully they win.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I wouldn't mind if the Rams do win, a good friend of mine is a long time fan of them, but it would be so exciting for the ToO team to win! Especially this particular one. :)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I don't exactly care either way who wins, Almanzo was born in Cinci, though, so he is definitely cheering for the Bengals.
I'll have to see who I start to cheer for as I watch. I'll probably start pulling for the Rams just to be ornery. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

i'm rooting for the bengals because they had that "manic monday" song that was pretty good.
he/him | a little stinker.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Bren wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:25 pm I'm rooting for Top's Bengals as well. I also have a wrestling reporter I follow who is rooting for the Bengals. So, hopefully they win.
Sean Ross Sapp?
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

The Top Crusader wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:16 pm
Bren wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:25 pm I'm rooting for Top's Bengals as well. I also have a wrestling reporter I follow who is rooting for the Bengals. So, hopefully they win.
Sean Ross Sapp?
That'd be the one. I want him to be happy. \:D/ And you too by default. :-
ImageImageImage
logos linked
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

GO BENGALS! \:D/

Fun fact: As a kid, I used to love the Rams for no other reason than for their uniforms. :p
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's almost kickoff! Come join the party in #NFL! \:D/
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I tried, but I couldn't figure out where and how to type. Nothing was working. Does it not work on mobile?
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

If you're using the web portal to connect it's not designed for mobile, but should still function. Try using a different option in the "Interface" dropdown before logging in maybe.

Edit:

I just tested on my phone, the method that adjusts best to mobile use is connecting with the "Kiwi" interface option selected. It should put you right into the channel and scale the window to display well. To chat, type in the white rectangle at the very bottom of the screen (it's hard to tell it's a different section, but if you tap in the center at the bottom a cursor should appear) and to send the message press the little icon on the far right.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

That Odell injury is big. I think the Rams can still pull it off though.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's the Rams! Great game!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I checked in on the game a couple of times and then watched the end. Luckily I made it in time to see the dramatic touchdown for the win! I didn't really care who won because I don't bother with the NFL at all, but it's still nice to see a home team get the chance to pull off the big comeback!