Jurassic World: Dominion

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Jurassic World: Dominion

Post by bookworm »

The next Jurassic World movie is coming up and instead of just making a trailer they've released The Prologue. This isn't a preview, but a separate production of footage not in the upcoming movie, so the same idea as their Battle at Big Rock short film.
This original 5 min prologue to Jurassic World Dominion, directed by Colin Trevorrow, rockets audiences back 65 million years into the past to experience the world before humans existed—and offers a glimpse of a world in which dinosaurs are living among us.

I'm really liking that they're producing this bonus content to bridge the movies, I wish more studios did that with their franchises.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I feel the same way about this as I do about ebook novellas that are a prequel to a book series or take place between the "real" books - a bit of a mixed bag. Sometimes you can get great info and stories etc. but it does make it harder to make sure you're getting all the relevant info in the right order.

I'm not that invested in the Jurassic Park movies and I may or may not eventually see the new film (though definitely not in theatres) so I don't care that much either way. Just my two cents. I did watch this video, more because I felt guilty being negative about it without even watching it than out of a huge interest. :anxious: I can see how a real fan could love the extra content, where it's pretty "meh" to me.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:24 pmI can see how a real fan could love the extra content, where it's pretty "meh" to me.
This video specifically I didn't think was especially noteworthy, I'm just pleased in general that they're putting effort into producing bonus material to supplement the movies.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:51 pm
Catspaw wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:24 pmI can see how a real fan could love the extra content, where it's pretty "meh" to me.
This video specifically I didn't think was especially noteworthy, I'm just pleased in general that they're putting effort into producing bonus material to supplement the movies.
Sure, that makes sense. I think good bonus material in general is something that got lost with the switch to everything on streaming services, though it might be making a comeback. For a while when blu-ray was becoming popular, I think a lot more effort was put into making great bonus stuff to put on the blu-ray to inspire people to pay more to get that instead of just the DVD, but then as stuff went more to streaming, it seemed like a lot less of that stuff was happening. I know Disney Plus has a bunch of bonus stuff (behind the scenes making some of their original shows) and have added some extras to some older items as well (commentaries etc.) so maybe it's coming back. This paragraph was all based on my personal observations and opinions, not any hard evidence, so I could be off. ;)
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

@Catspaw mostly:

I recall that some old video tapes (VHS) from my childhood had what we would now call "special features," like a behind-the-scenes compilation. As a child, I really didn't care about this metadata. I only ever cared about the feature film. I definitely remember that DVDs, usually the "collector's edition," would be chock-full of special features. I didn't get too much into blu-rays because DVDs were high-enough video quality for me, but I think yeah they were pretty similar with the extra features.

For big fans of a movie/franchise, any extras are exciting. "Did you see that actor so-and-so mock-interviewed his co-stars and they share their character's motivations, etc.?" I've got a Back to the Future trilogy collector's edition DVD set that has so many special features; it's the best!

I am pleased to hear that at least one streaming company has special features available. I remember when I first got Netflix that yes, it was great to have a large catalog (at the time, lol) of shows and movies to watch, but it had basically no special features.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

KODY 105 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:45 am @Catspaw mostly:

I recall that some old video tapes (VHS) from my childhood had what we would now call "special features," like a behind-the-scenes compilation. As a child, I really didn't care about this metadata. I only ever cared about the feature film. I definitely remember that DVDs, usually the "collector's edition," would be chock-full of special features. I didn't get too much into blu-rays because DVDs were high-enough video quality for me, but I think yeah they were pretty similar with the extra features.
Yes, I wasn't thinking about VHS tapes, but now that you mention it, I remember having some tapes with that too. It was like a fun surprise at the end of the credits - not just a 30 second Marvel scene but a whole featurette about the making of Raiders of the Lost Ark. \:D/
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

I only watched Jurassic park a couple years ago(on VHS no less and even I fell asleep once when the landlord I had was watching it), so I'm not very invested in the franchise,(don't get me wrong, I liked the movie) but I loved watching the behind the scenes bonus features of movies as a kid. It drove my older sister crazy. :D I watched the Jungle Book on VHS two days ago when I was down with a fever and it had a little behind the scenes thing/ad for Beauty and the Beast (coming to theaters in fall 1991!). My family never got a blu-ray player, so I miss the days when dvds had more bonus features.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Trailer is out now!

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks a lot, bookworm. If I have nightmares tonight I'm blaming you. ;)

I thought it was interesting that it calls this movie "The epic conclusion," implying that this is the last Jurassic movie. They certainly have set up an end-of-the-world kind of situation, so I am a little curious if they find a way to redeem things or if they go for a darker ending. Not curious enough to go see it in theatres, but curious enough to watch it eventually on Netflix.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I think this looks awesome! I can't wait to see it!

This is what I've been wanting the series to do, go all in on dinosaurs running around in the regular world. The brief glimpse of that premise we got in Jurassic Park II is one of my favorite parts of the entire franchise, I'm so excited they're finally making that the actual focus. It's the logical progression of the series, but I wondered if the movies would ever actually get there.