928-929: The Lost One

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How do you rate this episode?

1 bible
No votes
2 bibles
No votes
3 bibles
No votes
4 bibles
25%
5 bibles
75%

Total votes: 4

Bren
Be positive!

928-929: The Lost One

Post by Bren »

Part 1: After she learns that Zoe left her out of a special part in an upcoming play, Olivia must decide if she’ll help her friend get a prestigious job on the school newspaper.

Part 2: Olivia’s battles with doubts reach a climax as her family, friends, and even a Russian philosopher fight for her heart and soul.

I don't really have any thoughts at the moment for part one. Part two however, I found to once again be very well written. Throughout this story arc, it has been hinted that Olivia did something big. I never dreamed that it would be her guilt over a prayer. I also felt for the pain Olivia was going through. Albeit a totally different situation, I've had a taste of what it's like when the devil starts feeding you lies. I found the picture Marshal painted of Leonid as a demon/devil telling Olivia how alone she was, to be powerful. The sad truth is, when the devil feeds those lies to many, they believe it and the ending is far worse. The contrast in how Whit and Olivia handled guilt is a great lesson for kids and adults alike. And, as a bonus, they taught James 4:7 in a way that kids can remember later. Resist the devil and he will flee.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

My thoughts on part 2
When I first listened to this episode, I didn't care. Listening more carefully, I got a lot more out of it. Olivia feels guilty. She feels that what she did led to the death of Mr. Norton (I missed that episode/storyline). I read once that guilt is the most powerful motivator in the world. The summary of Olivia's fall from her faith is she feels guilty that she prayed for something that caused the death of her friend. She feels that it was her fault. She either has to believe that her prayer led to Mr. Norton's death, or that prayer has no effect. She chose to avoid the guilt, but only sociopaths avoid the feeling of guilt. As a normal person, Olivia could not escape her guilt. Also, Mr. Whittaker helped her explain her thought process. Nobody else was aware of any of this until now.

4/5
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

Here are my thoughts on both episodes:
I’ll have to hear them again before forming a more solid opinion, but I can say that I liked them!

“The Lost One, Part 1” was interesting.
Two new characters which have no lines are mentioned and play important roles. I would have liked for Andy and Martina to have some lines. I’m wondering why Priscilla Peterson was mentioned as the person getting the part in the play. It seems weird to have her being mentioned all of a sudden when she has not made a single appearance in Odyssey since “Groundhog Jay” in Album 56: The Grand Design. I think it would have made more sense to mention another character, such as Valerie Swanson instead of Priscilla.

I was a little underwhelmed with part 1, but part 2 made up for it.

I enjoyed hearing Olivia’s conversations with Leonid and Connie and Whit. Speaking of which, Whit was amazing in this episode! His confrontation and conversation with Olivia was great. I really liked that scene! =D>

The scene where Olivia gets Leonid to leave her head was great. And apparently the Parker family has broken "The Parker Family Pet Curse", since Olivia mentions Camilla's pet fish (and Leonid wants to eat it). We need an explanation about this, surely there's a reason why the parents are allowing the kids to have pets all of a sudden. But that's besides the point. As Bren said, it was a good lesson: resist the devil and he will flee. And that's essentially who Leonid Sepanov really was.

Overall, this has been a great saga. I look forward to whatever the AIO Team has in store for the future.
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Well, now that part 1 re-aired, here's my thoughts on that.
Olivia is on a downward spiral, and hurts her friend by straight-up lying to her and omitting newsworthy information during an interview. She then blabs this info freely to the next, competing reporter.

This walking away from her faith has already led her to hurt her best friend. The friend had declined to ask Olivia to participate in a play of a Biblical story because she thought it would offend Olivia, but Olivia was instead offended that she was not invited.

This character is starting to ruin her friendships. If she doesn't nip this in the bud, it's going to ruin more than just her friendships. 2/5
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: