Dune

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Dune

Post by bookworm »

Anyone else planning to see this, and if so have you read the book?

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It looks kind of interesting and my brother wants to see it so I might go see Dune next weekend. Neither of us have read the book. I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who sees it and whether they think it matters that much whether you've read the book or not. In general I am a firm believer that the book is better than the movie (with very few exceptions) but this isn't really a book (or series) that I'm super interested in so I don't feel too compelled to first go read the books and then go see the move later.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I enjoyed this very, very much! This kind of scifi with deep world building is completely up my alley.

I started the book a while ago, planning to read it before seeing this, but I haven't finished it yet. This movie only covers the first part though so it actually didn't go too far past where I'd gotten to. I would have been able to follow the story fine if I hadn't read any of it first, but I did appreciate having a head start on knowing the various characters and what was going on. Prior familiarity shouldn't be necessary though. You get a fuller understanding of the characters' temperaments and motivations and relationships in the book because of course it's more detailed in those things than something on screen could be, but the movie gets the most important information across.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks for the info, bookworm. This does make me more interested in seeing the movie. It looks like it won't work for me to go this weekend, but maybe next weekend.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Part Two has been officially greenlit for production!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I should have some time to see this one before that one is out then! ;) I was trying to find a time to go see Dune in theatres but it looks like it won't work out. I'm not desperate to see it, plus I'm really busy, plus there's some icky weather in the forecast for the day that I was going to try to squeeze it in with my brother between two other prior commitments. There's always Netflix eventually. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Part Two trailer!

I can't wait for this!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I still haven't seen the first one, so I can't say I'm too worked up about the second one. ;) I'm not sure if I'm really interested enough.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's not everyone's style, but it resonated with me strongly.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I saw the first one in theaters, so I'm hoping to catch this one, too! My one complaint (that makes me sound really old) is that the first movie was super-duper loud in theaters. I might need earplugs. :anxious:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I'm seeing Part Two tomorrow! Finally! :mad:

It was originally supposed to be released last November, I was so disappointed when the strike made them delay it.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I hope you enjoy it! I still haven't seen the first one. My brother asked if I wanted to see the second one because he forgot I hadn't even seen the first one (after which I claimed victory in a totally unrelated old watching-a-movie-in-theatres-related dispute based on if he forgot that, he could have forgotten something else from years earlier ;) ) so I might get around to the first one in time to see the second one in theatres. Maybe. :)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh my goodness, it is so good!

After the first movie I left the theater just completely overcome with appreciation and enjoyment of what I had just experienced. It was somehow even more so this time! And that was with having extremely high expectations of how I would feel about it!

Part Three cannot come soon enough! :mad:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, that's very high praise! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

I heard on the radio that part two has an actual ending and that the hoped-for part three will start a new story. Was that your impression too, bookworm?