new kind of apple

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

This thread reminded me to check for Cosmic Crisps when I went shopping yesterday, but they don't seem to have them at my local grocery store. :( I'll have to try to keep an eye out for them at other places!
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

I found some the other day at Wal-Mart, shoved inconspiciously into an unmarked bin. My thoughts on them:

1) They were expensive. I don't remember the exact price, but bookworm seems to have gotten an unusually good deal (or else they're much cheaper closer to the source).
2) As far as apple qualities: They are some of the biggest apples I've seen. I was surprised to learn that Red Delicious isn't apparently in their direct lineage, because I feel that their size is R.D-ish and that the taste and texture also reflect an R.D. 'twang'.

Unfortunately, I dislike Red Delicious apples, so I also disliked the things in the Cosmic Crisp that reminded me of it. It is much better than the R.D., don't get me wrong. As far as taste goes, though, I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer some other cultivar, like the Honeycrisp, a bit more.

However, I only had three apples, and it's possible that they were worse than average Cosmic Crisps. It's also a bit biased because I was comparing these three apples to what I could have gotten for the same price (probably a bag of 'established' apples). The high cost goes a long way towards emphasizing dissatisfaction. If an individual apple, or even a bag of apples, cost as much as another apple/bag, it's possible I'd be quite a bit happier. It might also be more of an 'all-rounder' and better for things like baking, whereas my primary usage case is washing it off and biting into it. Finally, I didn't actually dislike it; I liked them fine, I was just a bit disappointed that it wasn't a clear winner for me.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I definitely did get them at an incredibly low, temporary price. Now that they're back to what they normally cost they're absurdly expensive and I definitely won't be getting them again, despite how much I liked them.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

They had them at Sam's Club and figured it was worth buying a bag just to try them out.

They seem to be pretty good apples but just on par with the average "good" apples I've had in my life. Nothing really stood out. :shrug:

My daughter pukes whenever she eats one so that aspect is pretty cool (it took two tries to narrow down what was apparently causing it).
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

These are currently on rollback at Walmart for a pretty good price.

Thanks to Bob for making me aware! He mentioned in the Chatroom that they were at his store, so I checked mine and they are here too so I'm assuming it's nationwide.