How did you discover the ToO?

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

How did you discover the ToO?

Post by snubs »

To me, it seems the Town of Odyssey is in its own little world, so I always find it interesting how members discovered it. I also think it would be beneficial knowing where people come from.

So, how did you find the ToO? Was it a google search? Another website? Word of mouth?

My other question is, did you join right away? or did it take a while of lurking/revisiting before signing up? If so, what kept you from registering?

I found the ToO from The Odyssey Scoop when I was perusing their "Other AIO Sites" section. I didn't join right away, I visited the site a couple times, and after getting on the chatroom, I wanted to join. I didn't join right away because the ToO was my first encounter with a message board, so I didn't really know what I was looking at. :p
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I first heard about TheToO by being a rebel and browsing AIOHQ (Nathan Hooblers site) during school hpurs. I registered with the name Brad Dillard but never got my activation email. So, in 2008 I reregistered as Regis Blackbeard and the rest is history as they say. I can't imagine how different my life would be without The ToO and all my friends here. Many of which I consider like family.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
TheDinosaurPlanet
Processing
Post by TheDinosaurPlanet »

Through ATC, who linked the Ceiling Fan, who linked to here.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOO!

Other places are okay
And some are fine
But as far as hometowns go
Well, Odyssey is mine
Oh, it's the place to be
I'm sure you will agree
Have you ever been to Odyssey?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Like everyone else who joined on that fateful April 1 so many years ago, I heard about it through the AIO Soda Fountain, Shadowpaw's website, and the Town Hall message boards.
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

I don't remember how I found out about the ToO, but I had been lurking for a little while. I really loved the community and decided to join it! I haven't looked back.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I found Trent and JF's "Unofficial AIO Podcast" when I was fourteen, I think through a google search. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Mountain_Girl
Classic

Post by Mountain_Girl »

I found it through an online friend from CLASS (Christian Liberty Academy Satellite School) whose brother had his own message board at the time. I was into chatting and they said that this place (or at the time, Town Hall) had a great chatroom. So, I came to chat and stayed, even though I had never heard of AIO and still haven't gotten into it. LOL!

ImageImageImageImage
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I found this site through whitsend.org so I always get a chuckle from our disclaimer "The site is in no way affiliated with Focus on the Family" because that's how I got here.

It was back when their site looked like this. In fact that's actually the exact page that brought me here. I noticed that little note on the bottom that says "Vote for your favorite episode" and clicked the link. To my surprise it went to a completely different site: an AiO message board.

I joined that very night. I didn't need a lurking period, I instantly realized that this was a special community that I wanted to be a part of.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

bookworm wrote:It was back when their site looked like this. In fact that's actually the exact page that brought me here. I noticed that little note on the bottom that says "Vote for your favorite episode" and clicked the link. To my surprise it went to a completely different site: an AiO message board.
Woah I was not ready for the sheer nostalgia of seeing the old whitsend.org website! I remembered it being almost magical in my mind, so it's kind of funny to see it again now, probably 12 years later...

I discovered the ToO through AIOHQ and reading the episode reviews. And I discovered AIOHQ through googling "Adventures in Odyssey", and clicking on like the third result. For maybe 3 years after I joined, I accessed the ToO by googling "Adventures in Odyssey", clicking on the result for AIOHQ, and then navigating to the link for the ToO. I did not have a good grasp of how the internet worked when I was 12... ](*,)
TheDinosaurPlanet
Processing
Post by TheDinosaurPlanet »

Mountain_Girl wrote:I found it through an online friend from CLASS (Christian Liberty Academy Satellite School) whose brother had his own message board at the time. I was into chatting and they said that this place (or at the time, Town Hall) had a great chatroom. So, I came to chat and stayed, even though I had never heard of AIO and still haven't gotten into it. LOL!
Hey, another Class homeschooler!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOO!

Other places are okay
And some are fine
But as far as hometowns go
Well, Odyssey is mine
Oh, it's the place to be
I'm sure you will agree
Have you ever been to Odyssey?
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Smaug the Dragon wrote:I discovered the ToO through AIOHQ and reading the episode reviews. And I discovered AIOHQ through googling "Adventures in Odyssey", and clicking on like the third result.
That's very similar to how I found it, through the AIOHQ, but in those days it was the TH and not the ToO.
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

OdysseyMoments posted about it on Instagram if I remember correctly. I joined as soon as I could without knowing what it was lol.
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I'm enjoying all the responses!
Smaug the Dragon wrote:I discovered the ToO through AIOHQ and reading the episode reviews. And I discovered AIOHQ through googling "Adventures in Odyssey", and clicking on like the third result. For maybe 3 years after I joined, I accessed the ToO by googling "Adventures in Odyssey", clicking on the result for AIOHQ, and then navigating to the link for the ToO. I did not have a good grasp of how the internet worked when I was 12... ](*,)
That is too funny. :lol: *pats Smaug*
Parakeet wrote:OdysseyMoments posted about it on Instagram if I remember correctly. I joined as soon as I could without knowing what it was lol.
WHAT!? No way! =O I had no idea that's where you came from! :shock: That's so cool, I got at least one regular member from that post! \:D/ :highfive:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

FYI, reminiscences from other members can be read in the previous thread on this subject.

They should probably be merged so future readers can see everything in one place.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:FYI, reminiscences from other members can be read in the previous thread on this subject.

They should probably be merged so future readers can see everything in one place.
I knew there was already a thread like this, but I wanted to create a new one because I wanted it to be.. well.. uh.. new. :p
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Plenty of Fish was down and it was the next best thing.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I believe that I found a link to the ToO on the Odyssey Scoop. The Scoop was one of the few sites I visited when I was a young teenager. I'm so glad I joined and have made so many friends here!
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

OdysseyMoments on Instagram posted something about it and I signed up that night I believe. Thanks, snubs!
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Shadowpaw was like "hey Top I am making a new forum so join up when it goes live, you are the awesomest person I know, btw."
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

A couple of my "in person" friends were on here and I wanted to be a part of it!
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis