898-900: The Rydell Revelations - SPOILERS

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Rydell Revelations, part 3
Th story turned into a fascinating one "with a spy." It's unclear how the person was spying, and it's merely incidental that Morrie's badness can be used against the spy from his backstory. They deus ex machina their way to victory over the spy. And now they have this creepy magic technology that can fool people anywhere, at any time, with just a little bit of forethought. This has insane implications for anything in the future, ever.

Wow, this episode became halfway decent, because the direction entirely changed. For some reason all of a sudden Morrie's criminal maliciousness got demoted to the B-plot. I guess children only pretending to threaten bodily harm and death takes second-fiddle to a boring spy we haven't heard from before or heard the stakes of her winning.

"You three need to use your (high) abilities to help people. And that's why I didn't intervene when you thought you were going to die. You were in no real danger; feeling that you're in immediate danger of dying is bogus and won't cause long-lasting repercussions in your head. Forget you."

"I hope we can be friends." Um, no. You tried to make me feel that I was going to die imminently.

"We didn't break any laws." Um, you tricked people into thinking that they would die. That's child endangerment, if not straight up threatening to harm. I want these children thrown in prison, or juvie or whatever. They're dangerous. Let them be stored with other dangerous people. Actually, that would work with Whit's plan for them to use their skills to get better. So here's one law I can think of, that should really interest Tasha: the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA). If Whit allowed Morrie to conduct that psychological warefare on his computer systems, then he should have secured the permission of the parents of the children who were going to be traumatized. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he didn't secure their permission, because what parent would agree to that? Well, if they did, then I will sit corrected. However, if Whit did not allow Morrie to use his Whit's End computer systems, and Morrie had to crack into them, then that is a definite violation of the CFAA. The US government has prosecuted far lesser and more subjective violations of that law. Since Morrie claimed that he didn't break any laws, then that means Whit allowed him to use the Whit's End computer system. Forget you, Whit. You need to retire now. You're making bad decisions regarding children who are not under your direct legal guardianship.

Morrie belongs in prison for threatening and terrorizing children. Suzu, probably the same. And outside of this incidental holding of Emily (which somehow is way less threatening to her than what Morrie did to Emily), I haven't seen Mrs. Mado do anything wrong. She's unimportant in the grand scheme of stupidity and terror Whit has been weaving.

If I bothered to ever actually contribute money to FOTF for AIO, I would stop. But to stop listening for free doesn't hurt them. I'm the biggest AIO fan I know in person. I suppose that means I'm doing positive marketing for AIO. I tend to talk about my hobbies with my friends, so if I still listen, then I guess that means I will still be telling people to listen to AIO. I guess now that I'll have to tell them to listen to only the pre-2009 stuff. The writers have jumped the shark and Whit is now a bad influence on children.

Shame on you, writers of Adventures in Odyssey. Shame on you.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Scientific Guy
Tallying up

Post by Scientific Guy »

KODY 105 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:11 am I guess now that I'll have to tell them to listen to only the pre-2009 stuff. The writers have jumped the shark and Whit is now a bad influence on children.
Woah woah woah there... I could talk about all the problems with this episode along with you in detail, but let me jump on this last point. As much as this episode is harmful, don't ditch new AIO because of it. This episode is NOT indicative of where AIO as a whole is these days. If you would advocate against newer AIO because of this episode, I would say to please only limit your criticism to episodes featuring Morrie Rydell written by Phil Lollar. That's it. Please don't lump everything else in.