Introducing.. TheToO! The new default board!

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:I probably won't be changing for my use because the elements feel a bit oversized to me, it's awkward to navigate compared to this compact layout that I like; but that's just preference. It looks absolutely great! I fully support it being the new default.

Thank you both for undertaking this; as someone who had to do a deep dive into phpBB theming to recreate Regisville on the Stock Market site I understand what a process it is.
I didn't think you would give up your precious newToO theme (or oldToO =P), but I'm really glad you like it!! =D \:D/ And I would love to have a new Regisville theme created at some point!
Catspaw wrote:Woohoo! Thanks for sharing your creativity with us, snubs and Kaida. It looks great.
Thank you, Catspaw! O:)
Isaiah the Ox wrote:The ToO is so beautiful now I can't even. :incnt: :cry: Thank you so much!! \:D/ \:D/
Oxyyyy! I have missed you around here. *sniff* :hug: And thank you, I'm happy you approve!
A2Z wrote:Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is a lot of exclamation marks. So I guess it's safe to say you really love it! \:D/ :D
KnittingFun14 wrote:Love it!!! Been enjoying it so much! You all did an amazing job!
YAY, I'm so happy!! =D And welcome to the board! =D>
Penguin wrote:My only problem with with it now is that I don't remember if I'm logged in our not because it looks the same either way :wacky:
I've been having the same issue, I'm not used to this! :mad:
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

The new board theme is legit awesome. I love the street sign motif.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

The Top Crusader wrote:The new board theme is legit awesome. I love the street sign motif.
Thanks! It's the best part! \:D/
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I have developed one complaint as of late. When you make a post from your phone it hides the submit button.

ImageImageImage
logos linked
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Bren wrote:I have developed one complaint as of late. When you make a post from your phone it hides the submit button.
It doesn't do that one my phone. But it's probably because we have different phones/browsers (mine is an iPhone). I'm sorry it acts a little wonky though. =\ That's something we can't fix unless we had a board style that suited mobile devices, or just a mobile board style in general.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Wow, I love it guys! The purple and gold colour scheme just gave me a rush of nostalgia, in ways I didn't expect! Amazing work power paws! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I just noticed that the banner uses incorrect terminology: The ToO is The Town of Odyssey Message Board singular, the term refers to the website itself. Odyssey message boards, plural, would be used to refer to multiple sites like The ToO and the SS collectively, for example.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:11 am I just noticed that the banner uses incorrect terminology: The ToO is The Town of Odyssey Message Board singular, the term refers to the website itself. Odyssey message boards, plural, would be used to refer to multiple sites like The ToO and the SS collectively, for example.
I suppose. The Soda Shop calls it "boards" :shrugs:
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

That ties into the classic 'forum' vs. 'board' terminology debate.

Some software uses 'board' to describe the whole site, and 'forum' to describe the individual section. But others use just the opposite terminology, 'forum' for the whole site and 'board' for each individual section.

Now, 'board' for the whole thing, 'forum' for section of a board, is almost certainly the original form. UBB ("Ultimate Bulletin Board", the father of all modern WWW 'bulletin board' systems) used it, and their use of the term 'board' (or 'bulletin board') was itself presumably adapted from the earlier BBSs.

However, the opposite caught on at some point and has gained a lot of traction. Whenever you say 'forum software', which most people do (for good reasons*), it's easy to take that as an admission that the whole site is called a forum, not a board (or a 'bulletin board'). This need not necessarily be true, but people take it that way.

As far as this pertains to us, phpBB is more traditional in this respect. If we were to base it on their standard, bookworm is correct: it should technically be called either the ToO "Message Board", or the ToO "Message Forums".

[1] 'forum' is shorter to say or type than 'bulletin board'.
[2] 'forum' as a word pertains more to a community or public meeting place, and it isn't as commonly used to mean other things as the word 'board' is.
[3] This increases the search-engine/reference distinction between modern 'forum software' and retro 'bulletin board systems'.
[4] It also increases that distinction between online communities and physical bulletin boards.