884: Always Home

Review and discuss!

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

884: Always Home

Post by Monica Stone »

What did you think of album 68's Always Home?
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

I thought it was a pretty strong and powerful episode! The very first scene with the imagination station surprise thing was a good idea but the executing just kinda felt confusing and strange. But I really enjoyed the point about the turtle and how it had always been there. As someone who is sentimental to a fault, it felt really realistic.
*Finger guns aggressively*
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

MonkeyDude wrote:The very first scene with the imagination station surprise thing was a good idea but the executing just kinda felt confusing and strange.
I agree slightly but I would have to think about it more. Bridget was confused about the supposed adventure and so were we. I think that was the point.

I already liked the Perkins family but this episode furthered those feelings. I have enjoyed their gradual introduction as the Parker's neighbors. They really shined this one, as the main focus.
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

I loved this episode! True, the whole imagination station thing was kind of weird, but other than that, I found this episode super moving and relatable. I'm also really liking the Perkins family.
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Jay_Smouse
Not as new

Post by Jay_Smouse »

Yeah, I like the Perkins family too. And this episode allowed us to get to know them a lot better, what with us meeting the father in person and seeing some of their traditions like dropping a watermelon for New Year's. We also saw a pet of theirs die and, as MonkeyDude said, I really liked that plot point. Of course, I really liked seeing a more human side of Whit where he was struggling over his loss of Tom. Just the mention of Tom was a real nice touch, as I really like him. He was the only one who could correct Whit wen he was wrong.
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

Me: Oh, it mentions Tom! How much gut-wrenching sadness is this episode going to have?
Marshal Younger: Yes.

For real, though. I love the Perkins family but that Whit moment hit me out of nowhere. Marshal did a one-two punch on me. 10/10. I don't normally listen to newer episodes more than once because I usually don't care about side characters, but something about the Perkins family is very endearing. Looking forward to hearing more from them.
Yo
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Oh dude!!! I can't believe I forgot about the ending, thank you guys for reminding me!! It really felt like classic Odyssey. On top of everything that's already been said above, I loved the piano track.

edited for garbage grammar
Last edited by MonkeyDude on Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

I'm so excited about the Perkins family. They're so sweet and so fun! They have quite a few upcoming episodes, so I'm looking forward to that.

They reused to piano track from much earlier episodes. It was used in the scene where Whit finds out Jenny is dying in "Recollections", among others. I immediately recognized it. The music was overall great. Aaron Fullan did the music. . . can he do more?

The scene where Whit and Bridget were talking was also amazing. I just loved the episode overall. =D>

Now I want to relisten to it.
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

I also loved the Whit and Connie scene--so precious! They've been through so much together, and seeing (or hearing) Whit just needing to talk to someone who matters to him gave me all the feels.
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica Stone wrote:They reused to piano track from much earlier episodes. It was used in the scene where Whit finds out Jenny is dying in "Recollections", among others. I immediately recognized it. The music was overall great. Aaron Fullan did the music. . . can he do more?
Woah, great catch! That makes it all the more touching.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I really liked this episode. I agree with those who said they like the Perkins family. They feel like a real family to me.

The scene between Whit and Connie about Tom was very touching. I actually thought that Whit was sad because he was thinking about his son Jerry. He was talking to Bridget earlier in the episode about the military and I right away had the genius idea that Whit was thinking about Jerry and how he wished he was there. I was awaiting the reveal...only to find out that I was totally wrong. ;) What they did was very sweet and I didn't mind being wrong!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

This episode broadcast on 2022-01-27.
Episode summary
Ron Perkins has been stationed overseas with the Marines for a long time, and Bridget and Wyatt are missing their dad. Whit creates a special Imagination Station adventure to help them with their feelings ... but it has a surprising twist.
My thoughts
When Whit is talking with Connie at the end about Tom's death "a while back," some sad music plays, which sounds like some of the original sad music used in the early days of the show. It doesn't play very long, but all us oldbies will recognize it.

Wow, this episode made me care about Wyatt and his older sister Bridget! Also, turtles are cool. (#WhereAreYouKingButterTurtle) Wyatt and Bridget just want their dad around more. But career soldiers have to serve where the military is.

4/5
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I recognized the music as soon as I heard it. In. The following video, the composer explains coming up with those 2 music cues.

ImageImageImage
logos linked