Disney+

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The US price is increasing $1 a month or $10 for a year on Friday. And we don't get the new content.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

US subscribers don't get the STAR content? I would be unhappy about a price increase without any content change. I was enjoying a couple episode of M*A*S*H* just last night courtesy of the expanded offerings on Disney+.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

No, the Star thing is to make up for non-US users not having access to Hulu, which is where that new-to-you stuff is usually located. Because we can get that we have to watch those things there, either subscribing to Hulu separately or it can be bundled with Disney Plus on a monthly basis.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Oh yeah, I do think I heard about the Hulu thing, now that you mention it. I guess it's a different way to access the content that was previously unavailable. I do think it would have been nice to have had a dual pricing structure based on whether you want the Star content or not, which sounds more like the American model, but even with the price increase I think it's still a good price for quantity and quality of content.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Agreed, a $1 increase is still an entirely reasonable price for their extensive library.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

bookworm wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:19 pm The US price is increasing $1 a month or $10 for a year on Friday. And we don't get the new content.
Thanks for sharing this, bookworm! We'd been subscribing to Disney+ on a monthly basis for a little bit, but we decided we enjoyed it enough to get the annual subscription before the price went up.

So far, I'm very happy with the availability of content. I think the only thing I've wanted to watch that's been unavailable was Enchanted, although I know there are a few other things. I know some people hate the "premium" thing they did with Mulan and Raya and the Last Dragon, but it doesn't really bother me. The way I see it, in non-pandemic circumstances, if I had wanted to see those movies right when they came out, I would have paid to go see them in the theater. If I don't want to see them, no big deal, I don't have to pay for them. Eventually, they'll be available to watch at a less exorbitant price. I would be much more annoyed if they made the new Marvel shows a premium feature, since that's really one of the main reasons I'm subscribed to Disney+ in the first place.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Petrichor wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:17 amThe way I see it, in non-pandemic circumstances, if I had wanted to see those movies right when they came out, I would have paid to go see them in the theater.
That's how you should be able to think about it in theory, and if it worked out that way I wouldn't take issue with the approach either, but it only works if the on demand price they're asking is reasonably equivalent to what the theater ticket price would have been and in my case it is not even close. I would only be paying for my one ticket at the theater, the streaming price is over four times what that would have cost! Granted they're pricing the stream assuming a family is going to be watching together, and so attempting to offset multiple lost ticket sales for that viewing, but even considering that the price is still too high for people like me who live where theater prices are reasonable as even if my whole family were going to a theater viewing all our tickets would still cost less than what they charge to unlock the stream.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

bookworm wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:58 am I would only be paying for my one ticket at the theater, the streaming price is over four times what that would have cost! Granted they're pricing the stream assuming a family is going to be watching together, and so attempting to offset multiple lost ticket sales for that viewing, but even considering that the price is still too high for people like me who live where theater prices are reasonable as even if my whole family were going to a theater viewing all our tickets would still cost less than what they charge to unlock the stream.
I think that's the key right there. If I were to buy one of the premium movies on Disney+, it would be under the assumption that the six people in my household + other family members using the account would be able to view it. In my situation, it's honestly a bargain. But in your situation, it's the equivalent of an obscenely expensive movie ticket. It's definitely not a perfect system, and I'm guessing Disney is losing money releasing movies this way anyways, so I think almost everyone will be glad when we can shift back to theatrical releases.

Also, your movie theater must be super cheap! I feel like a ticket costs like $12 if I'm not seeing it as a matinee.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

My local theater is indeed super cheap, and even the big one in the next city, which is the most expensive one around, is still pretty reasonably priced. I am definitely aware, and very grateful, that I am in an area with very low ticket prices compared to what seems to be standard these days. Maybe my situation is more of an outlier than I tend to think, I really don't know, but for however many individuals and smaller families there are out there in a similar position there is no way the Disney Plus Premium or whatever they call it can be justified in any possible consideration, we'll just wait until the thing is added to the included content library.

You're right that there's no way to make a system that really works for this, and even the compromise they're trying to find is still negative on both sides. It's unfortunate because if there was a way to actually charge me appropriate value I would definitely support it. Like you said, if I'm planning to see it in the theater then I don't have a problem with paying for early access as a concept if I can just substitute the on demand payment in my mind for buying a theater ticket. It has to actually be possible to do that substitution though and obviously in the current model it isn't.
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

For me I like the premier access. A normal movie ticket for a new release where I live is about $17 Canadian, Disney premier access is $35. I go to movies with my wife so that's up to 34, it's about an hour to drive there and back so I get home late and there's gas money, movie theater popcorn is expensive, I have kids now so have to arrange a baby sitter ( my mom gladly does it fit free but it can be a process). Much easier to pay the fee and watch when I want from my own couch. Price also comes down if I have a friend over to watch with us.

All that being said I do prefer the experience in the theater and hope to go again someday but might not be for a while.
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

An ad-supported version is launching on Thursday, which will change subscription options but not necessarily change pricing.

If you are a current subscriber, the remaining time you have already paid for will I think stay ad-free, though that isn't absolutely confirmed, but it will definitely stay locked in at the original price in any event. When it is time to renew, your options will then be to keep paying the same price and start seeing ads (if you weren't already), or upgrade to an ad-free account with a higher price.
If you are a current subscriber, you have the option to switch your subscription to one of the plans below that best suits your needs. If you’re not currently subscribed to Disney+, you can sign up for one of the following plans starting on December 8, 2022.

The prices below will go into effect as of December 8, 2022 for new subscribers and on the first billing date on or after December 8, 2022 for existing subscribers. Any changes to your subscription plan will not take effect until this time.

Disney+ Basic: For $7.99/month, subscribers can stream Disney+ (With Ads).

Disney+ Premium: This plan will increase from $7.99/month and $79.99/year to $10.99/month and $109.99/year. With this plan, subscribers are able to stream Disney+ (No Ads) and download Disney+ content to watch on the go.