Pokémon Go

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Pokémon Go

Post by bookworm »

From observation of the insane media coverage I estimate at least one in three ToOers must be playing this thing; so who are you?
Agent 86
0x Moderator 0x Admin
0x Moderator 0x Admin

Post by Agent 86 »

I think I would play it, if I wasn't an introvert. :P
^AIOluver^

Who am I? I'd rather not answer that question, the real question is, "Who are you?". Right now I am trying to think of something witty to put here.. I might not find anything, but that's fine. This block of text should be fine for a signature. Wait, are you still reading this? Why are you reading this? Stop. Seriously.
STOP.
This sentence is true.
The sentence above is false.

I dare you not to read this.
Hey! I said not to read this.
Maybe if I talk like this.
Wait, you still see me? *sighs* I give up.

http://blackgaardscastle.forumotion.com/
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

While I don't play it, I saw people playing it in the library recently. (I assume it is because the library has free WiFi and then you wouldn't need data)
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

I don't either... I'm not even completely sure what it is... but I saw a TON of people standing out in the parking lot of this shopping center thing, walking around (out in front of cars!) staring at their phones... My friend said that's what they were doing; she also said that two people had died cause they walked off a cliff chasing one of those things... It sounds addictive.
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
hello and Where are all the hot people? ~Penguin
Agent 86
0x Moderator 0x Admin
0x Moderator 0x Admin

Post by Agent 86 »

If I remember right, the two people who walked off the cliff didn't die, I think they just got bad injuries.
^AIOluver^

Who am I? I'd rather not answer that question, the real question is, "Who are you?". Right now I am trying to think of something witty to put here.. I might not find anything, but that's fine. This block of text should be fine for a signature. Wait, are you still reading this? Why are you reading this? Stop. Seriously.
STOP.
This sentence is true.

SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

I play it where I can get wifi.

My church happens to be a Poke Stop, so yay for me xD It's pretty fun, though I haven't played it much yet.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I might be inclined to check it out if it didn't require constant data and GPS connection. As it is I'm not interested enough to bother installing and figuring it out. I am quite interested in the cultural phenomenon it has already become though.
Agent 86
0x Moderator 0x Admin
0x Moderator 0x Admin

Post by Agent 86 »

Well bookworm, it was hyped up for like a year before it was released. :P
^AIOluver^

STOP.
This sentence is true.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I hadn't seen any prerelease hype, actually. (It could have been there, but I didn't see it.) I heard occasional reports the game was coming out and people saying the concept was 'a kinda neat idea' but no one expressing high anticipation of the release and nothing that indicated the reception would be anything remotely close to what it has been.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I am by no means a Pokémon fan, nor do I know anything about it other than Pikachu. That said, I've been playing it a LITTLE, mostly just to see how it worked and whatnot (still confused with a lot of things though =p). But, as bookie mentioned, I don't like the constant data usage and GPS connection (I'm not a huge fan of apps requiring I turn on my location services).

BUT, that aside, I really like the concept for the game, I think this might be the beginning for something much cooler. And though I'm not into Pokémon, the game does make you want to keep "hunting" more and get to the next location to "catch" another.

I can see where it can easily be a big distraction, it's easy to keep looking at your phone and not your surroundings. I found the safest way to play is, with two people, one person holds the phone and can look at the map, and the other person stays alert and makes sure the person with the phone doesn't "walk off any cliffs." :p Though if you are focused on staying alert yourself, then it's a perfectly safe game to play, and not the company's fault for people walking in front of cars.
Last edited by snubs on Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

I'm obsessed with this game. I never played Pokemon growing up (my parents thought it was demonic or something ridiculous like that :roll: ) so I'm really digging the opportunity to relive this part of my childhood that was STOLEN from me.

I'm level 15 and I just have a lot of fun with it. I mostly play on my way to and from work and then I've been trying to get out of the house at least once on the weekend to head out to a place with new pokemon and pokestops. Just today we went to the beach and there were about 6 pokestops within a close range that all had lures at one point or another. I got about 10 brand new pokemon and as well as ones I've already caught.

Anyway. I'M PLAYING AND I'M NOT ASHAMED TO ADMIT IT. :x
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

^There's alotta stuff that's demonic but a phone app where you walk into high-risk areas catching obese insect-like devices that you committ assult and battery with isn't one of them.

That said, I'm not all that inteterested, while reviews are... OK, everyone has positive reviews for appgames because it's such a limited platform. Plus, play isn't neccisarily 3D, indicating the next step in appgaming won't give rise to racing sims or anything like that. A friend sent a link to it, but, admittedly, I have non-"demonic" reservstions about playing. Whatever. The technology used here may someday, eventually be able to create a motorsports or street-hockey game that allows you to scan and create circuits directly from Google Earth.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

Kait wrote:I'm obsessed with this game. I never played Pokemon growing up (my parents thought it was demonic or something ridiculous like that :roll: ) so I'm really digging the opportunity to relive this part of my childhood that was STOLEN from me.
My parents thought it was demonic too xP

I don't play Pokémon Go either, but we do have a Poke Stop in our neighborhood :thumbsup: Also...For all you people who do play, bringing along a power bank can help you a lot so you don't have to stop in stores and such to charge your phone :yes:
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Kait wrote:I'm really digging the opportunity to relive this part of my childhood that was STOLEN from me.
Well, this app isn't really anything like the actual Pokémon games. But it does give you some exposure to the idea.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Paula wrote: My parents thought it was demonic too xP
Hmmm... I'm seeing a consensus here. In the mouth of 2 or 3 witnesses...
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
Agent 86
0x Moderator 0x Admin
0x Moderator 0x Admin

Post by Agent 86 »

SimplyDredge wrote:
Just because several people said it doesn't make it true.
^AIOluver^

STOP.
This sentence is true.

Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Agent 86 wrote:
SimplyDredge wrote:
(Grunts unresponsively) If you say so... 8-)
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

Agent 86 wrote:
SimplyDredge wrote:
I wasn't gonna say it, but it's true of mine, as well. Not knowing much about it, I have mixed feelings of my own.
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

SimplyDredge wrote:
Agent 86 wrote:
SimplyDredge wrote:
(Grunts unresponsively) If you say so... 8-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

\:D/ \:D/ If you say so...
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »