ToO Fantasy Football - 5 Years Strong!

Anyone is welcome to join in!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Football starts this Thursday. \:D/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Time for the Winoka Warriors to begin their march to the top! :yes:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

We need to address the EK situation quickly, before things get underway. I want to know what everyone's thinking is on it, because there are a couple different ways it could go.

It was my intent, in having him remain in the league, that the choice was for matchup purposes only. It was a necessary action for the sole purpose of avoiding bye weeks. That is to say, he was not intended to be another team in our league this season, since he's not, but he was intended to be another matchup merely so everyone would have a game every week. To this end, he should not be any threatening competition to the active teams of the league. He should in effect be our Tennessee Titans, only a game on paper, you know you're going to win. To bring that about, I would propose that his lineup be emptied, to ensure he poses no threat of success. Because it would be an absolute mockery if he should push one of the active teams out of the playoffs without ever logging in. If I knew that was going to be the outcome I would have taken the bye weeks and demanded him removed, as lame as that would have been, because the alternative is disastrous.

So that is one option. Provide your input to see if we're on the same page. I assumed everyone was in agreement EK's 'being' here wasn't meant to be anything we had to give real thought about, it was just for scheduling purposes only, but we need to verify that group understanding before the season begins so if problems arise in how things play out we're all of the same mind in how to handle them.

Another option is what I should have pressed for but dropped the ball and didn't think of in time. I already said EK should have been left out of the draft, but if we were going to keep him in the very least that should have been done is he should have been moved to the end of the order after everyone else had been randomized. It's too late for that now, but we could attempt to manually retcon some of the draft picks to how they would have gone had that happened. I have a few spots already worked out (mostly, it's identifying when my picks reverted from my rankings back to autodraft and just switching my results with his, since we were picking back to back) and could figure out the rest if this is the chosen solution, but I'm worried people might cry foul simply because it is a delicate proposal, moving players around without approved trades; though I give my word I would not be biased in any way, the matter would be sorted out honestly.

There may be a few other options as well, but those are the two best that come to mind. Whichever we choose, something should be done and soon. Please give your thoughts.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I would be firmly against raiding/dispersing his roster. It would leave far too big an asterisk on this season.

As for the whole you win automatically thing. Here's the deal. Everyone plays him twice except Laura who plays him 3 times. Fortunately one of those times is this week. Therefore I'd propose we'd leave his starters in this week and take them out next week onwards if possible. That way everything is as balanced as possible.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That timetable sounds fair to me.

The specifics of which players get moved can be figured out later; unless we want to simply empty his lineup so he's playing no one? That would guarantee the opponent wins, the other way would make it likely but not a definite thing. Like how he managed to win that one time with half his players on byes. That was a slightly different situation, as he had been active at the start and then left. So it was okay to get those bizarre wins because at least he put effort into the roster at some point. Here he hasn't done that yet, and probably isn't going to.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

How can you remove his players anyway? Just curious...
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I am assuming the League Manager has the ability to shift around rosters, should the need arise.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

League Managers can do lots of fancy things like that. However, I don't believe any action is necessary here. I'm swamped in new semester assignments, so I'll keep each point brief.
  • Have you ever played the card game War? Or a similar game where there is a 'dummy' player? Sometimes that player has a fantastic hand. As long as the cards were distributed randomly and without bias, the process was fair - it's just bad luck on the real players. The same applies here.
  • What if EK comes back in a few weeks? How would he feel if we dismantled his team? He's been a significant part of our fantasy football history.
  • EK has ditched the league in midseason before. This is really no different. We don't need to interfere this time.
  • If EK doesn't show up, his lineup will soon have injuries, suspensions, bye weeks and disappointments. He will lose most of his games this season if we let this run its course.
My bottom line is this: the draft lineup, autopick distribution and scheduling were entirely random. We agreed to leave a seemingly-inactive player in for the good of the league. This was our best solution. I see no reason to tamper with our season because EK's team happened to get a decent starting lineup.

If everyone can agree on a change, I will go along with consensus. However, my vote currently goes toward no change.
Last edited by American Eagle on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

American Eagle wrote:League Managers can do lots of fancy things like that. However, I don't believe any action is necessary here. I'm swamped in new semester assignments, so I'll keep each point brief.
  • Have you ever played the card game War? Or a similar game where there is a 'dummy' player? Sometimes that player has a fantastic hand. As long as the cards were distributed randomly and without bias, the process was fair - it's just bad luck on the real players. The same applies here.
  • What if EK comes back in a few weeks? How would he feel if we dismantled his team? He's been a significant part of our fantasy football history.
  • EK has ditched the league in midseason before. This is really no different. We don't need to interfere this time.
  • If EK doesn't show up, his lineup will soon have injuries, suspensions, bye weeks and disappointments. He will lose most of his games this season if we let this run its course.
My bottom line is this: the draft lineup, autopick distribution and scheduling were entirely random. We agreed to leave a seemingly-inactive player in for the good of the league. This was our best solution. I see no reason to tamper with our season because EK's team happen to get a decent starting lineup.

If everyone can agree on a change, I will go along with consensus. However, my vote currently goes toward no change.
Eh, I'm convinced.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I actually agree with AE as well. :yes:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

American Eagle wrote:What if EK comes back in a few weeks? How would he feel if we dismantled his team?
He would feel grateful we let him stay in the league at all! We didn't have to, and really shouldn't have. The only reason he stayed was to keep the conferences even; if we had gotten another player to take his place he would have been booted in an instant. If he comes in late there is no way he could be upset with anything we chose to do, because of what else we chose to do: let his team remain. That is already far more than he deserves.
Honestly, this question doesn't even make sense to me. How would someone who never requested his team be renewed and showed up several weeks after the draft feel? They shouldn't be feeling anything; league membership is not an entitlement. It would be absurd for them to finally come by and say 'Hey what did you do?' their only reaction should be 'Oh wow thank you for even letting me be here at all!'
American Eagle wrote:EK has ditched the league in midseason before. This is really no different.
This is fundamentally different! If it weren't I would have suggested we do something like this all those other times, but I didn't, because that situation, though disappointing, is fair enough. If he's active and then leaves, fine. He at least worked on his team originally and has the potential to return to it. This year we're looking at the possibility of him not signing in a single time, not doing a single thing. If the thought of that beating out one of our players who actively worked on their team all season isn't gutturally appalling to you I just don't know what to say.
American Eagle wrote:He will lose most of his games this season if we let this run its course.
If we were certain of this, then I would agree to just let what happens happens. The automatic win proposal was an extreme example to illustrate what my standing on the situation is. Even the Titans managed to win two games; if he's playing in a hindered state and still manages to scrape out a couple that's fine. However, can you look at his lineup and honestly tell me you don't think he's poised to do much better than his usual absences fare? He has beasts on his team this season. He can easily compensate for byes and injuries if they aren't all happening at the same time.
American Eagle wrote:We agreed to leave a seemingly-inactive player in for the good of the league.
Not true, and that is why I brought the subject up. I did not agree to have EK here as such, because he isn't. I only supported his entity remaining on the schedule so we didn't have holes. I did not agree to this entity being stocked with star players and threatening our real teams' chances of success. In my mind he was a placeholder matchup only; as I said the sole purpose of keeping him in was to prevent byes on our schedules. I would have made sure everyone else was looking at it that way earlier, but I took it for granted they were because it's a no brainer assessment.

Changing the lineup should be a solution readily acceptable to everyone, it's clearly the right thing to do, but if we're not going to then I demand we take the only other course of action and do what we should have done originally: kick him out. Bye weeks are infinitely more desirable than the current situation (which should show how significant an issue it is, because bye weeks in fantasy football are super lame) and is what my vote the first time would have been if I realized we weren't on the same page with this.

What we really need to do is get someone, anyone else to join, and give them his draft results. The original preferred solution, just really late.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I'm not totally sure if it's possible to change ownership of a team, but if it is, I agree that that would be a fair solution.

Otherwise, I still don't see a need for any action here. I suspect EK's players will perform average and it will deteriorate from there. If he performs outrageously well during the next few weeks, perhaps this could be reexamined then.

bookworm, I appreciate your passion for this league's integrity, but I still feel that tampering with a roster would be a greater asterisk on the season than having an autopicked team perform well. I don't think EK's team will be much of a threat and I think this will be another fantastic year. \:D/

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Very well, but come postseason if there are issues resulting from this the subject will be revisited.

I'm so excited to finally get going again! :mad:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Absolutely. You would deserve mad props for identifying the issue ahead of time. We'll see.

Yes, here we go! One more day! \:D/

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Moves:
Dropped Spiller
Added Heath Miller (PIT) TE
Dropped Marshall
Added Mason Crosby (GB) K
Dropped Watkins
Added Arian Foster (HOU) RB
Dropped McFadden
Added Delanie Walker (TEN) TE
Dropped White
Added Joe Flacco (BAL) QB
Dropped Crosby
Added Panthers D/ST
Dropped Ertz
Added Bengals D/ST
Dropped Floyd
Added Terrance West (CLE) RB
Dropped Bengals D/ST
Added Steve Smith Sr. (BAL) WR
Dropped West
Added James Jones (GB) WR
Dropped Miller
Added Zach Ertz (PHI) TE
Dropped Ertz
Added C.J. Spiller (NO) RB

My opening roster:
Starters:
Aaron Rodgers
Justin Forsett
Melvin Gordon
A.J. Green
Odell Beckham Jr.
Julio Jones
Delanie Walker
Panthers D/ST
Steven Hauschka

Bench:
Joique Bell
Ravens D/ST
Arian Foster (IR)
Joe Flacco
Steve Smith Sr.
James Jones
C.J. Spiller

My schedule:
Week 1 - vs Seattle King's (gia)
Week 2 - at Bench Coolers (Eugene)
Week 3 - at American Eagles (AE)
Week 4 - at Constantinople Chrysostoms (JC)
Week 5 - vs Winoka Warriors (Laura)
Week 6 - at Texas Staleys (KF)
Week 7 - vs Gainesville Behemoths (EK)
Week 8 - at Seattle King's (gia)
Week 9 - vs Bench Coolers (Eugene)
Week 10 - vs American Eagles (AE)
Week 11 - vs Constantinople Chrysostoms (JC)
Week 12 - at Winoka Warriors (Laura)
Week 13 - vs Texas Staleys (KF)
Week 14 - at Gainesville Behemoths (EK)
Week 15 - vs Seattle King's (gia)
Exactly the same as last season!
Last edited by bookworm on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

And EK scores the most points, proving once again none of us have a clue what we're doing. xD
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Week 1:
Box Score:

bookworm:
Aaron Rodgers - 22
Justin Forsett - 5
Melvin Gordon - 4
A.J. Green - 6
Odell Beckham Jr. - 4
Julio Jones - 26
Delanie Walker - 10
Panthers D/ST - 22
Steven Hauschka - 11
Total: 110

gia:
Ryan Tannehill - 11
Mark Ingram - 11
Joseph Randle - 10
Tevin Coleman - 8
Jordan Matthews - 10
Larry Fitzgerald - 8
Tyler Eifert - 22
Dolphins D/ST - 14
Dan Carpenter - 11
Total: 105
I start off with a win!
Week 1 - vs Seattle King's (gia) 105-110
Week 2 - at Bench Coolers (Eugene)
I really didn't think I was going to, a ton of my players severly underperformed, but Julio capped things off with a huge game to give me just enough to hold onto the lead!
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Uh oh Bookworm, bit of trouble there
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Week 2:
Moves:

Dropped Spiller
Added Danny Woodhead (SD) RB
Dropped Smith
Added Stevie Johnson (SD) WR
Dropped Bell
Added Ladarius Green (SD) TE
Dropped Flacco
Added Marcus Mariota (TEN) QB
Benched Gordon for Woodhead
Benched Panthers D/ST for Ravens D/ST
Dropped Gordon
Added DeAngelo Williams (PIT) RB
Dropped Williams
Added Darren Sproles (PHI) RB
Benched Walker (Out) for Ladarius Green

Box Score:

bookworm:
Aaron Rodgers - 21
Justin Forsett - 7
Danny Woodhead - 9
A.J. Green - 10
Odell Beckham Jr. - 20
Julio Jones - 13
Ladarius Green - 4
Ravens D/ST - -3
Steven Hauschka - 7
Total: 88

Eugene:
Cam Newton - 26
Matt Forte - 10
Jonathan Stewart - 6
LeSean McCoy - 10
Brandin Cooks - 6
Keenan Allen - -1
Martellus Bennett - 4
Jets D/ST - 13
Cody Parkey - 5
Total: 79
Another win \:D/
Week 1 - vs Seattle King's (gia) 105-110
Week 2 - at Bench Coolers (Eugene) 88-79
Don't really have any specific comments on this one; hard fought, straightforward matchup.
Last edited by bookworm on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

You have failed me Panthers. With their late defensive collapse bookworm retains the points title for the year by one point at 146.