AIOP's Periodically Updated Book Review Thread

Trust me, I work at a book store.

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

AIOP's Periodically Updated Book Review Thread

Post by AIO Psyche »

One of the cool things about my job is that I'm allowed 'check out' new books and take them home to read. Free! It's really cool actually. So as I read whatever book I happen to be reading in a book, I'll give you a running review of it. Plus, I'll periodically post a few 'actual' review of books I've already read.

I'm currently reading a really great fiction novel called The Martian, by Andy Weir.

It's the mid 2000's, the first human expedition to Mars has landed successfully, and set up camp. Everything couldn't have gone more smoothly. That is, until a huge storm from hades blows in. The crew is forced to make an emergency evacuation, and leave the planet. Everyone makes it, except an astronaut named Mark Watney. It appears to his fellow crew members that he has been mortally wounded. However, through a convoluted and scientifically accurate series of events, Mark survives, waking up alone and scared on Mars.

IT'S A CRAZY SCENARIO AS IT IS, BUT ALL OF THIS HAPPENS PRIER TO THE BEGINNING OF THE NOVEL.

It actually gets better.

Mark has been devising all sorts of ingenious ways to survive since page one, and I can't wait to see how it ends. A few days ago the book threw me a curve ball that I didn't see coming, and it completely raised the stakes on, well, EVERYTHING.

I have been thoroughly enjoying the novel so far. It's compelling, engrossing, surprisingly humorous, and fascinating to watch as Mark overcomes some truly challenging things in order to survive. I do feel compelled to warn you there is some adult language peppered randomly throughout the book, but honestly if you were stranded totally alone on Mars, don't you think you'd occasionally have some off colored things to say about your predicament?

Have any of you guys read this book? Ever heard of it?

Also, I'm starting on a review of The Cuckoo's Calling, the detective novel that JK Rowling wrote under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith', which should be done in a few days. The sequel, The Silkworm, comes out the 19th. I already have my copy reserved \:D/
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

That's a really intriguing premise. I'm checking my library.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

If you're into sci fi AIOP, you should read The Unincorporated Man.
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

Cool, I see if we have it when I go in tomorrow.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

A place that lets employees check out books... FOR FREE!? :shock: Wow, why hasn't someone created a place where the general public can do this!? \:D/