Questions for Shadowpaw

...or anyone else who can answer!

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Questions for Shadowpaw

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I'm not sure if this should be placed in Finneman's Market or in City Hall. :-k

I had a question pertaining to the Odyssey Speciality Shop. I currently own the avatar and signature privileges. However, if I "remove avatar" or "remove signature", will that be like selling back my privilege, or will it merely remove whatever banner or avy I have?

Also, does the "Change Title" option change the title under your avy or does it add a title under your username?

Thanks!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

This is the right forum...

You can sell it back to the Odyssey Specialty shop for 25% of its value. So if you were to click "Remove Signature" it will actually remove that privilege from you (therefore sell it back for $37.50).
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Ah. Interesting.

I'll reiterate the question I added above: does the "Change Title" option change the title under your avy or does it add a title under your username? I'm assuming it costs $400 to change that title each time. :-k
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Shadowpaw can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the title is the one under your name. The one under your avy can ba changed by getting a new name.

-Jonathan
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Hm. I think I've figured it out, since a handful of people have titles under their name. Like you said, Jonathan, I think changing titles gives you that title under your name. However, changing "usernames" almost sounds like changing the name with which you registered. So if I paid $750, I could change "Trent DeWhite" to "Jared DeWhite." Correct us if we're wrong, Shadowpaw. :-k
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

yes you can change your username for 700 dollars
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

That's correct. Changing title changes the title underneath your username (otherwise you would be modifying your job!). And you can also pay to change your username, which is there because I know over time many people do wish to change their name and in the past it was only possible by pestering an admin until they did it.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Ah, thanks for clarifying, Shadowpaw.

Will you continue updating the Master Job List? I noticed Monday was recently hired as the Odyssey Times Reporter, but I couldn't find it on the list.

I've also noticed that Le Hotel doesn't pay me every 72 hours, even when I'm logged in exactly 72 hours after my previous paycheck. Is there something else I need to do before I get paid? I've tried logging out and logging back in, but that didn't work. :: shrug ::
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Yes, the page is updated whenever I make a change to the job list (though I have yet to add Monday's job).

There are certain jobs, such as "Odyssey Times Reporter" which pay slightly better than the average salary because it's an actual job. Sort of how StupendousMan is a KYDS DJ. These jobs are approved by me ahead of time and then I set it up for the users.

And you won't get paid "exactly" every 72 hours. At certain intervals (the exact time I do not know) a script is run that checks to see who should and should not be paid. It will see you have gone three days without being paid and at this time will pay you what you are owed.
Sunday
Popsicle kid

Post by Sunday »

I don't want to work!!!! And time doesn't permit me to post a gazillion times.

*sigh* but I want my avi-whatever to show up.

Any 'get rich quick' schemes out there...just enough to pay for my..oh whatever that picture thing is called.
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

Sunday wrote:I don't want to work!!!! And time doesn't permit me to post a gazillion times.

*sigh* but I want my avi-whatever to show up.

Any 'get rich quick' schemes out there...just enough to pay for my..oh whatever that picture thing is called.
You now have enough cash! :)
ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I like your name, Sunday. We already have a Monday. Not sure if we have a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, though. :-s

Anyhow, the avatar privilege can be obtained at the Odyssey Specialty Shop. It will cost you $25 dollars (in ToO currency). Simply hit "Buy Avatar." \:D/
Sunday
Popsicle kid

Post by Sunday »

Ironic how that worked out. Anyway...Thank you gentlemen. Hopefully this avatar works!

I've been Sunday for a very long time...nigh unto 5 years I believe. I am, however, new to this board.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Welcome to the Town of Odyssey, Sunday! I would advise you to check out City Hall before you go anywhere else. :)

And to keep this thread on topic:
Sunday wrote:Any 'get rich quick' schemes out there...
Well, the best way to do so would be simply post frequently. Make sure you're actively involved in multiple discussions . . . just don't spam. Another way to make money is to check out the Jobs page. There may or may not be a job for you to obtain. But like I said before, see City Hall before doing anything else. ;) There are several threads there that will help you figure out the ins and outs of the ToO.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Again, a little offtopic, but I love your avy Sunday.

-Jonathan
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

:offtopic:

Ha, gotta love that guy. :lol:

Shadowpaw, do you have any plans on adding any further items to the shops in Odyssey? Or perhaps changes to the way one goes about obtaining a degree?

I think it would be interesting to add either reference books or various textbooks to Holstein's Bookstore. Consquently . . . instead of simply purchasing any particular degree (or maybe just the Highschool Equivalent), you'd need to 'study' various topics by purchasing certain books at Holstein's Bookstore. Is there any way you could change it so you'd need to own a particular book(s) before being eligible for a degree? Such books would not be nearly as expensive as the actual degree, but they'd be more expensive than, say, Halison's Guide to Popular Culture.

This would also allow for the possiblity of slightly decreasing the price of the degree(s), since you'd be paying any deductions on books instead. Every degree would require two or three books, but they'd also require a few books specific to the particular field of study. That would also allow you to eventually get multiple degrees without having to pay $30,000+ . Instead, it'd only be $28,000+ (assuming you lowered the price of the degrees). :D

Anyhow, those are just some ideas for you to contemplate. I think it'd certainly make the process of getting a degree somewhat more enjoyable. Of course, you could always substitute books for other things, such as 'certifications' or whatever. Really, there are endless possibilities. But I just thought I'd get my thoughts out there. :)
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Shadowpaw, do you have any plans on adding any further items to the shops in Odyssey? Or perhaps changes to the way one goes about obtaining a degree?
Yes, the shop will continue to be expanded. Aside from major additions down the line (such as real estate) I've also wanted to add smaller items to fill up the stores more than they already are. In recent days I've contemplated "hiring" someone to come up with items that can be put in the store, as well as creating the images that go along with them. As I've been so busy recently and will be busy for the rest of this month (with finals), the time I can devote to such a task is minimal. If anyone IS interested in this position, PM me and we can discuss it. It would be your official job on this board and would pay double the average salary.
Trent deWhite wrote:Anyhow, those are just some ideas for you to contemplate. I think it'd certainly make the process of getting a degree somewhat more enjoyable. Of course, you could always substitute books for other things, such as 'certifications' or whatever. Really, there are endless possibilities. But I just thought I'd get my thoughts out there. :)
While the idea is great (and one I've wanted to implement) it's unfortunately not technically possible with the way the code works. The only alternative (similar to what I need to do with the HS Equivalent) is that you can purchase a degree before you get the HSE, or (in your example) purchase a degree before you buy the books... but the jobs you apply for will not allow you to be hired until you purchase everything relating to that job.

To clarify, I am able to make requirements for jobs... but I am unfortunately not able to make requirements for items (other than monetary requirements). But it is certainly possible that individual A buys Agent Training from Campbell College, but cannot get hired anywhere until he purchases the NSA Manual (if he applies to the NSA) or the Red Scorpion Book of Torture (if he applies to the Red Scorpions). So your suggestion is possible, though I don't know how much it will effect the actual cost of the degrees.

Considering second level jobs give you a substanial raise, I don't think people will be complaining quite as much. :)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

A question... if we buy the ability to change our name, is that just a one time deal, or can we change it at our leisure from then on?
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

^yes great question

and is eugene going to be a NPC now?
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I like the questions people come up with in this thread. It's most helpful. :)
Eugene Kendall wrote:and is eugene going to be a NPC now?
He's already posted so I think that'd be a yes. \:D/