Special October Tribute

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Arkán Dreamwalker
Catspaw Rocks!

Special October Tribute

Post by Arkán Dreamwalker »

It’s October 31st. You all know what that means. That’s right, today is the day the greatest escape artist of all time, Ehrich Weiss, who took the stage name Harry Houdini, passed away.

After an afternoon show at the Princess Theater in Montreal in October 1926, three students visited Houdini in his dressing room. Houdini was lying on a sofa reading his mail.
One of the students, a college boxing star at McGill University, asked Houdini if it was true that he was in such good shape that that he could take a blow to the stomach without injury. Houdini was going through his mail and not really listening. He said it was true. The young man asked if he could try to punch him and Houdini absentmindedly agreed.
As he stood up, the student quickly delivered three hard blows to Houdini’s abdomen before the magician had a chance to tighten his stomach muscles.
Houdini dropped the letters and clutched his stomach. The youth was surprised. “Hold on,” Houdini gasped, his face white. “I have to get set for it.”
He stood, set his muscles, and the young man swung again. This time, his fist felt as if it had hit an oak plank.
Although he felt pain, Houdini didn’t realize at the time that the blow had ruptured his appendix.
On the train to Detroit the next day, Houdini’s temperature rose to 102 degrees. But he insisted on giving his show for the Sunday night crowd at the Garrick Theater. “They’re here for me,” he told his wife Bess. “I won’t disappoint them.”
After the show, Houdini collapsed and was taken to Grace Hospital. On Monday afternoon the doctors operated on him and removed a torn appendix .
Twice a day the hospital gave out news stories on Houdini’s condition. Newspapers across the United States published the stories. By Saturday morning the hospital was saying that his condition was “less than favorable.”
On Sunday morning, he whispered to Bess, “I’m tired of fighting…. I guess this thing is going to get me.” On October 31, 1926—Halloween—Houdini died at age 52.
Houdini was buried in Brooklyn, New York, in a grave next to his mother’s.

Harry Houdini is remembered as a hero, giving people something to hope and cheer for; was truly the embodiment of the American Spirit, remains an inspiration to magicians and others, and was just gol-dern the best Showman to cross this Earth.
~ Walker in Dreams
Samantha14
All That Is Sam.
All That Is Sam.

Post by Samantha14 »

His death was always a really sad story, but he really was an amazing man. And I actually didn't know he was buried next to his mother. That's actually really sad, and sweet.

Where's the like button when I need it? -_-
merp.