Football Pool V

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
godisawesomeness99
Popsicle kid

Post by godisawesomeness99 »

Sunday:
Tampa Bay @ Detroit
Minnesota @ Green Bay
Jacksonville @ Houston
San Diego @ Kansas City
Carolina @ Miami
Pittsburgh @ Cleveland
Chicago @ St. Louis
New York Jets @ Baltimore
Tennessee @ Oakland
Indianapolis
@ Arizona
Dallas @ New York Giants
Denver @ New England
Monday:
San Francisco @ Washington
Daniel- Seattle Pacific University '22
Music is how God speaks to me
I used to be here.... but now I'm probably not.... so yeah
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

I think if I would have won at the end of the season if I had gotten in on time you should give me like, an unofficial victory
I am confused
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Sunday:
Tampa Bay@ Detroit
Minnesota @ Green Bay
Jacksonville @ Houston
San Diego @ Kansas City
Carolina @ Miami
Pittsburgh @ Cleveland
Chicago @ St. Louis
Tennessee @Oakland
Indianapolis @ Arizona
Dallas @ New York Giants
Denver @ New England
Monday:
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Sunday:
Tampa Bay@ Detroit
Minnesota @ Green Bay
Jacksonville @ Houston
San Diego @ Kansas City
Carolina @ Miami
Pittsburgh @ Cleveland
Chicago @ St. Louis
Tennessee @Oakland
Indianapolis @ Arizona
Dallas @ New York Giants
Denver @ New England
Monday:
I am confused
Skylerbuck
OK
Post by Skylerbuck »

Denver at New England
SF at Washington

How does at tie work for this, from the Packer/Viking game.

Yes! Jaguars, Not last anymore, Houston 2-9, JAX 2-9,Atl 2-9
Last edited by Skylerbuck on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I am steamed over the end of the Sunday Night game!

This may be a first. Not a Referee Rant, just a general ranty rant. I usually don’t have those; if the officials aren’t involved in how a game goes I just say it is what it is, but there are times when I can’t just let games go into the books without a word, and this is one of those times.

It was an amazing game. Manning vs. Brady, you can’t get much better than that. But the way it started out stunned everyone. In the just the first quarter New England turned the ball over three times, each leading to Broncos points. The Patriots were shut out in the first half, going into the break down 24-0! But in the second half the Broncos had three turnovers of their own and Brady finally started to look like Brady, so the game ended up tied at 31 and went to overtime, all through which both teams were completely deadlocked. Until a single mistake with time expiring changed everything.
The Broncos were receiving a punt and the ball hit one of them, becoming live, and was recovered by a Patriot. Already in field goal range, they ran the clock to the two minute warning and then put it through for the win.

I am so upset about this! It was an absolutely ridiculous way for this hard fought game to end! The Patriots did not deserve to win this game. If this fluke doesn’t happen and Denver takes the punt, they either go on to a field goal of their own and win, or run out the clock trying and the game ends in a tie. (Which, incidentally, would have been the second tie of the day.) The Patriots would not have had the time or opportunity to pull a win off. But because they did, Patriots fans are going to think they’re so special and amazing. ‘Look at us, we’re the greatest! We came back from so far down and got the win.’ No! You didn’t get the win, you were given the win. There is a huge difference.

I’m sure many will insist the Patriots deserved the win because of how they were able to fight back from being so far down, but that is only half-fair. The comeback was impressive, certainly. They absolutely did deserve to have a chance to get the win. But they did not deserve to have the win handed to them at the last second. They got the chance; they forced overtime. That is all they deserved, the rest had to be earned, and they didn’t earn it. They were unable to put anything together in overtime, they got the win solely because of one stupid mistake by their opponent.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Week 13

Thursday:
Green Bay at Detroit
Oakland at Dallas
Pittsburgh at Baltimore
Sunday:
Jacksonville at Cleveland
Tennessee at Indianapolis
Chicago at Minnesota
Miami at NY Jets
Arizona at Philadelphia
Tampa Bay at Carolina
New England at Houston
Atlanta at Buffalo
St. Louis at San Francisco
Denver at Kansas City
Cincinnati at San Diego
NY Giants at Washington
Monday:
New Orleans at Seattle
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Oh so what does the tie count as? Does everyone get a point? Does no one get a point?
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It doesn’t matter. It stays even because everyone would get it regardless of whether it’s scored as a win or a loss. My pool just leaves it out.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

So we all missed it would be the correct answer?
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Strictly for tally purposes, since it doesn’t add to the count, then technically yes it was scored as a miss. But for everyone, regardless of pick, so not really.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I plan to start picking some games as a tie in the future.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I would advise against that. If you’re correct it has no effect, everyone stays even anyway. If you’re incorrect, it will count against you. There is no advantage to be gained for the risk.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I was obviously kidding about actually doing it, but why wouldn't it count as a correct pick? It is a correct pick, after all.

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Wouldn't it actually have an effect if someone in the pool didn't pick? Technically it is half a win so I feel like procedurally the standings should reflect that.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

You want ever one who picked to get half of a point? I think that the team that was favored, I don't know who it was,should be counted as winner for purposes of this game in the future. Toughts? Ideas? Revisions?
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

American Eagle wrote:why wouldn't it count as a correct pick? It is a correct pick, after all.
Because, as I said, the Cumulative tally drops that game. There is no pick scored, so the process doesn't go far enough to determine what would theoretically be the correct pick to score if there was one.
However, if someone wishes to take the nonsensical risk of picking games as ties in the future, and they are right, then from here on I will score that because technically it is indeed correct. It's never come into play before, so it can be decided midseason.
Knight Fisher wrote:Wouldn't it actually have an effect if someone in the pool didn't pick?
I'm not sure what this means. If someone missed the week and didn't pick anything? If so, no. Because tie games are simply dropped, regardless of team picked, it doesn't affect anyone either way.
E II wrote:I think that the team that was favored, I don't know who it was,should be counted as winner for purposes of this game in the future. Toughts? Ideas? Revisions?
Absolutely not. Why would a winner be declared when there isn’t one?
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

At least to get half a point or something.
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

But, again it is scored the same way for everyone regardless of team picked so it would have no effect. Everyone would get the half point, so what is the purpose?

Edit:

Unless you’re referring to only your proposal where a winner is forced. But that’s not going to happen. There is no winning team in a tie, I’m not going to arbitrarily declare one just for tally purposes when there’s not a need to.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Detroit
Dallas
Pittsburgh gonna win
I am confused