Missionary Biographies

Have you read any recently?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Missionary
Hexadecimal teenager

Missionary Biographies

Post by Missionary »

Has anyone read any missionary biographies recently? Did you like them? What are your favorites?

One of my favorite ones was A Chance to Die by Elisabeth Elliot. It is about Amy Carmichael. She was a missionary in India and she stayed there until she died. She was able to save many children from horrible circumstances and to teach them the truth about Jesus Christ.

Right now, I am reading volume 2 of Hudson Taylor. He was a missionary in China and he started the China Inland Mission.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I haven't read any recently, but I have read quite a few! (My parents used to pay me for each Missionary biography I read, in an attempt to get me to read less romance novels...)

Have any of your ever read "Hostage" by Nancy Mankins? That one was very good.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I've read a couple, though not recently. I read a biography of Amy Carmichael, but I can't remember what it was called. I think it might be the same on you referred to, Missionary, but I can't remember for sure.

I also read one of Gladys Alyward, which was really interesting. Again, I can't remember the name. ](*,) I probably still have the title somewhere, since it was for a Bible college assignment, but I don't have access to my school stuff or my laptop right now, so I can't check. If I think of it, Ill look when I can, in a week or so.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Most recently, though it was still a couple of months ago, I read God's Smuggler and God's Call about Brother Andrew. THose were awesome books. I have also read both of the Jesus Freaks books among others.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Who is God's Smuggler by?
...I hate marquees.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

By Brother Andrew...I think :-s
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Nevermind I was thinking of another book..
...I hate marquees.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I haven't read any recently, but as a child, I was a fan of the Christian Trailblazer Series. Each book would start with the fictional account of a kid, who would eventually become wrapped up in one missionary's work. They were well-researched and enjoyable reads.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I read tons of the Trailblazers books when I was younger! \:D/ They were really good! They were by Dave and Neta Jackson, I believe.

I read most of the older ones, but then my church library stopped getting the newer ones, so I didn't read many of them. One of my favourites was the Amy Carmichael one.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I loved the Trailblazer books. :D

However, it has been a while since I've taken a look at them. I particularly enjoyed the one involving William Booth. I can't remember how many times I read that book. :anxious:
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Me too, I read quite a few of them.
...I hate marquees.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Trent DeWhite wrote:I loved the Trailblazer books. :D

However, it has been a while since I've taken a look at them. I particularly enjoyed the one involving William Booth. I can't remember how many times I read that book. :anxious:
I own that one! It was about both William and Catherine Booth, right? My Sunday school teacher gave it to me when I was about 11, and that's what started my interest in the books! I've read that one lots of times, too! \:D/
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Missionary wrote: Right now, I am reading volume 2 of Hudson Taylor. He was a missionary in China and he started the China Inland Mission.
Oooh...my darling sister and I went to this OMF conference (Previously the China Inland Mission) and heard Hudson Taylor's grandson speak!!! It was awesome...and he speaks pretty good Mandarin. :D He told us about Hudson Taylor a bit and talked about what the mission is doing now and all the Chinese diaspora in the world today. :D

Oh...and missionary biographies...we like those Trailblazer books...and those YWAM Publishers ones...really good stuff. The most interesting missionary I've encountered recently is Brutchko or something like that. Powerful story...I've read some other biographies recently...gotta think of them. Oooh, CS Lewis's biography is swell...but he's not really a missionary. Heh. I need to read "The Cross and the Switchblade"...it's been sitting on my shelf for quite some time now...happiness....
Missionary
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by Missionary »

Frank wrote: Oooh...my darling sister and I went to this OMF conference (Previously the China Inland Mission) and heard Hudson Taylor's grandson speak!!!
That is really cool! I am really enjoying Hudson Taylor's biography. It would be neat to hear his grandson and hear about the mission now.
Frank wrote: The most interesting missionary I've encountered recently is Brutchko or something like that. Powerful story...
I think that I just bought that one. I haven't read it yet though. Maybe I will start that one next. . .
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Catspaw wrote:I read tons of the Trailblazers books when I was younger! \:D/ They were really good! They were by Dave and Neta Jackson, I believe.

I read most of the older ones, but then my church library stopped getting the newer ones, so I didn't read many of them. One of my favourites was the Amy Carmichael one.
That one was my favorite too! :inlove: Unfortunately, we lent it to a friend and never got it back! :x We own a lot of the Trailblazer books, and I've read all the newer ones at the library. \:D/

We also have some of those YWAM ones, Frank.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Laura Ingalls wrote:We also have some of those YWAM ones, Frank.
Yay YWAM! Did you get the Gladys Alward one free? \:D/
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

*waves hand* :wave: Another Trailblazer fan here. :D I own all the books and still read them from time to time. :anxious: (Chandler likes children's books... which maybe be connected to liking children's radio shows...)

We most or all of the YWAM set too and I've read quite a few of them. :) In the past I've read an assortment of biographies... some good, some fictionalized, some boring. On the whole, a beneficial experience. O:)
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

Y'all ever read The Heavenly Man? Excellent story about a Chinese pastor, Brother Yun. Autobiography.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

MsMaxwell wrote:Y'all ever read The Heavenly Man? Excellent story about a Chinese pastor, Brother Yun. Autobiography.
I've seen it for sale... and when I have, I've thought about you. :)
Haven't read it yet. :anxious:
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

Chandler wrote:
MsMaxwell wrote:Y'all ever read The Heavenly Man? Excellent story about a Chinese pastor, Brother Yun. Autobiography.
I've seen it for sale... and when I have, I've thought about you. :)
Haven't read it yet. :anxious:
*chuckles*