Ted Dekker

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Ted Dekker

Post by Lee »

Just recently, my friend introduced me to Ted Dekker's books. I read Blink, and now I'm finishing the last book in the Circle Trilogy. (Which is actually four books, confusingly enough... ) So have you read any of his stuff? Blink was amazing. I don't think I've ever read anything even remotely similar actually.

\:D/
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Are you on the TD message boards?

My sister was a prominent member on there for years.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I read the Circle (minus Green) a couple years ago, and I can't say that I was blown away by it. The writing was poor, the characters were bland, and for all his plots have been raved about, my personal impression was one of confusion rather than genius. :p
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Lee, it WAS called the Circle series, when it was just Red, Black, and White. But after Green was written, it became known as the Circle Series.

Petrichor, sometimes his books *are* confusing, but I still find them to be quite genius.

I've read Thr3e, Eyes Wide Open, Burn, and Immanuel's Veins. I think I might be missing one >.< I really loved Thr3e, and I think it's my favorite of his books I've read so far. Burn and Eyes Wide Open are on the same level, and Immanuel's Veins is my least favorite. I felt as if Dekker spent WAY too much time on being overly sensual, and I didn't like the characters >_> Most of the book is just the knight dude and his friend falling in love with the other two girls, and then following them around. And then he had to bring in vampires :p No. Just no.

On my Kindle, I have Forbidden and Mortal, the Circle Series, the Bride Collector, Adam, and House. Those ones I have yet to read \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Marvin D. wrote:Lee, it WAS called the Circle series, when it was just Red, Black, and White. But after Green was written, it became known as the Circle Series.

Petrichor, sometimes his books *are* confusing, but I still find them to be quite genius.

I've read Thr3e, Eyes Wide Open, Burn, and Immanuel's Veins. I think I might be missing one >.< I really loved Thr3e, and I think it's my favorite of his books I've read so far. Burn and Eyes Wide Open are on the same level, and Immanuel's Veins is my least favorite. I felt as if Dekker spent WAY too much time on being overly sensual, and I didn't like the characters >_> Most of the book is just the knight dude and his friend falling in love with the other two girls, and then following them around. And then he had to bring in vampires :p No. Just no.

On my Kindle, I have Forbidden and Mortal, the Circle Series, the Bride Collector, Adam, and House. Those ones I have yet to read \:D/
No, no, you misunderstand. I wasn't confused so much as I felt like he was. :p Which you can argue against all you like, but that was my impression reading from the books. In fairness, they were among his first books, but... they didn't deserve all the hype I heard about them. The term "genius" seems to be applied quite liberally these days. xP

I did forget to mention that I also read 'Kiss', which I liked slightly better. (Heh. Maybe that's the one you forgot, Marvin? What with it coming before 'Burn' and all. =P) Might give 'Burn' a chance sometime if I ever need something to read.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Petrichor, I started to read Kiss, and I stopped (can't remember exactly why). Maybe I'll pick it up again someday.

I've read Blink, Skin (which was more than a little weird), Obsessed (rather dark), and of course the Circle Trilogy (I started to read Green, but I just couldn't because everything seemed too different; plus I thought there was unnecessary sensual characters). I did like the original trilogy though, and Blink. I already knew the big spoiler about Thr3e before I read it, but I did anyway and it was still good. I've also read Blessed Child (co authored with Bill Bright) which I definitely thought was amazing, and its sequel Man Called Blessed which wasn't as good in my opinion.

I think Ted Dekker has his moments of creative brilliance, but sometimes his plots are rather overdone and in my opinion he spent way too much time writing about people and places in the Circle Trilogy. I know people liked it a lot and probably liked the subsequent spinoffs, and i haven't read them, but I got a little tired of hearing about them.

Till the end of the line.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Petrichor wrote:No, no, you misunderstand. I wasn't confused so much as I felt like he was. :p Which you can argue against all you like, but that was my impression reading from the books. In fairness, they were among his first books, but... they didn't deserve all the hype I heard about them. The term "genius" seems to be applied quite liberally these days. xP

I did forget to mention that I also read 'Kiss', which I liked slightly better. (Heh. Maybe that's the one you forgot, Marvin? What with it coming before 'Burn' and all. =P) Might give 'Burn' a chance sometime if I ever need something to read.
Oooh. I won't argue with you =P To each his (or her) own XP No, I haven't read Kiss yet. But I do have it on my Kindle as well, I believe. Burn is a really good book, if I may say so myself ^^

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I was never allowed to read books by Ted Dekker...
Sparrow
Processing

Post by Sparrow »

To be perfectly honest, all my experiences with Ted Dekker have been kind of underwhelming. I read the original Circle trilogy, and wasn't particularly impressed, and then I read "Chosen", and was still less impressed. He's a pretty poor writer, and definitely doesn't deserve all the hyper-adulation he's received. :P Maybe one day if I'm seriously bored I'll continue my journey into the Circle empire, but...probably not. Maybe I'll also read some of his other books too, but...probably not.

Also, he's seriously melodramatic, which, in adult men, tends to creep me out. \:D/
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

He's far from a pretty poor writer... his style is like, my absolute favorite.

Which is why I own every book except "Eyes Wide Open"... just haven't gotten it yet. \:D/

I only don't particularly like "Boneman's Daughters"... Ted wrote that one as an analogy towards and abusive relationship his daughter was in. It was too real and bitter, methinks. More coarse. But that's the only one I really don't like. There's a couple others that I wouldn't recommend as highly as others, but wouldn't be all 'DON'T EVER READ THEM.'... like I do with Twilight. ;)
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Sparrow
Processing

Post by Sparrow »

Yeah, I know I'm sort of going against the flow for not being in utter awe of ol' Teddy's brilliance, but I'm just calling it like I see it. :anxious: My overall impression after finishing the Circle series was, "These books were not well-written." They're...okay. Not amazing. Not horrible. Just...okay.

I'll readily admit that since the books I read were among his first (I think), they're probably not the best example of his writing skills, and that he's probably gotten at least slightly better over time. But since none of his other, newer books really sound like my cup of tea anyway, I'll probably just end up leaving them alone.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Termite, you should read Eyes Wide Open \:D/ I didn't find the last book really "mind-bending" or something like some people said, but it was still pretty epic.

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I got the free download of the first part, which was definitely awesome... my mom said she's probably going to buy it for her and Aeva to read, and then she's going to send it out to me. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
cellogirl
Gold Member

Post by cellogirl »

Ted Dekker is amazing. Blink is the best book ever... and the circle trilogy is amazing as well :)

"Oh no. No no no no no no no no no... this is bad, this is very bad, this is really, really bad! They just can't get my nose right!"
"I know not who you are, nor how I came to find you, but may I just say.... Hi..."
"You should know that this is the strangest thing I've ever done!"
"Frying pans! Who knew, right?"
-Flynn Rider

check out my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/thepianogals?feature=mhee